• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Terry C. Johnston

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee thunder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone else enjoyed the late
Mr. Johnston's series about the mountain men. I finally finished the last book in the series, the "Scratch" books always seem to read well in the deer stand.

Yes, Terry had some good books out, I read most of them and enjoyed the ones I read. I think he had close to 30 out on the mountain men, Indian wars, western military, Custer... But it was the first trilogy he did on the mountain man that gave him his first book contracts and led to the publishers and readers to want more. There were three trilogys on with Scratch and Titus. The last one of the final set was very touching.
If you have not read much of his work, you need to find others and follow the characters. As with all writers (I can see this with mine too), you can see how his writing gets better with each book and it wasn't long before he was a Spur Award winnner.
mike.

After reading all of the books on Titus Bass I was wanting more books on Titus Bass. Terry was one heck of a good writer that wove a good yarn around the historical facts of the fur trade. Even some of the phrases that Titus says in the books are sayings that actual mountain men have been quoted as saying. Not all the events happened to one man as it did to Titus Bass but the events actually happened. Great reads. I wish there were more.

I still think someone needs to step up to the plate and make a righteous movie or 6 or even 8 based on these books. Hollywood is getting really boring in my opinion.

They would make great action packed movies. I got a buddy started reading them and I'm constantly asking him...
"You at the part where Scratch has been shot, knifed, arrowed, frozed, or starved yet?"
The question works for just about every book in the series. :grin:

That fella sure took a beatin' didn't he? I think he had more scrapes than all of the mountain men together for the whole western fur trade era.

Sean

I would like to see a movie made from Johnston's books. I think that I enjoyed Dance on the Wind the most; I can relate to being young and thinking that I knew it all. I didn't listen as much as I should have. Good reading and a few good lessons in each book.

I didnt even know this series was out there. Just when I am looking for something decent to read this topic pops up. Cant wait to hit the bookstore now. :thumbsup:

Or maybe the Library through inter-library loan. I don't know if these are still for sale in the book stores now. Maybe so. You may want to call a book store and see if they are still listed.
Good luck. They are great reads.

You could also check Amazon, I've found some hard to find titles at fair prices in their used section.

i got some of mine at[url] half.com[/url] too. you can find the latter ones pretty good around here but the early ones our bookstores had to order

Last edited by a moderator:
Lakota, I think you will find that you can get all of the Terry C. Johnston books from the mountainman series used through Amazon. I try to order as many used books as I can through one vendor to try to save a little on shipping. And when you're done with Titus Bass' adventures, checkout the plainsman series which is also excellent.

I have all of his series about Scratch and Indian Wars series. One of my little treasures is a signed copy of "Carry the Wind". Got it from Win Blevins years ago.

I met mister Johnston years ago at the Custer SD rendezvous. I had just won a particulary tough match and was walking back to camp and this gentleman stopped me and asked some questions about the rifle. We talked a few minutes and I went back to the lodge. A couple of years later I saw Terry Johnston's picture on a book I had just bought. It was the same fellow I talked to at the rendezvous that time.

I was sad to see him go. He gave me a lot of pleasure over the years reading his tales.

Yankee Thunder said:
I think that I enjoyed Dance on the Wind the most; I can relate to being young and thinking that I knew it all.

I just finished "Dance on the Wind", and related to it for the same reasons. It was right up there with "Carry the Wind". I can hardly wait to start "Buffalo Palace", but I am trying to read a few books in between each of Terry's books. I want stretch the experience out the first time through.

pab1 said:
I want stretch the experience out the first time through.

I've re-read most of them multiple times and enjoyed time as much as the last. Seams like I pick out and walk away with different things each reading.

I am almost through with Buffalo Palace. and I have all nine of the books in this series.
Old Charlie

Desert Rat said:
pab1 said:
I want stretch the experience out the first time through.

I've re-read most of them multiple times and enjoyed time as much as the last. Seams like I pick out and walk away with different things each reading.

Yes sir! That is my pleasure as well.

I found "Carry The Wind" Buried on a shelf at Border's this afternoon. Two chapters in and I like it already. I saw copies on Amazon for seventy-five cents, but I couldt wait. Just had to have it today! In a couple days I am going to order a few more from the series from the used rack though.

Thanks for the tip on a good read :hatsoff:

I meet Terry at book signings here in Salt Lake. A down to earth guy. Have most of his books, in fact before he died you could send my your books and he would sign them for you. When I found out when he would be in town I took the books to his signing and he would sign them with a note. Miss his books coming out.

I have all of the TB series and about 10 of his other books, all are a great read. Just finished reading the series through ending with Death Rattle for the second or third time. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back