• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Terminology

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me when the moving parts of flintlocks changed their names and who decided to change them?
The cock became the hammer. The hammer became the frizzle and then the frizzen. The flash hole became the vent. I think that the pan has always been the pan.

The term "cock" likely came about due to the noisy, chicken-like pivot the cock makes to get the powder burning and the flint does kinda look like a beak.

Some of the terms were interchangeable even back in the day. Touch hole goes back at least to hand guns and vent to was used early
And they were pretty sloppy back then too

We had a committee... Just kidding. The thing where they stopped calling it a "cock"... I think it had to do with that term also being used for something else and Aunt Mary's get all geflustered. "Ah couldn't be callin' it that". 😉
Ha Ha you are so funny Sturmkatze! Should we call our President a Prime Minister because someone is sensitive. A rooster is also termed a “Cock”. Have to just love our histories terminology because it was made for a specific reason. Should we put some lavender in our gun powder so it smells like social correctness? Sensitive people need to take up knitting instead of changing good history for us. You have a great day.

Ha Ha you are so funny Sturmkatze! Should we call our President a Prime Minister because someone is sensitive. A rooster is also termed a “Cock”. Have to just love our histories terminology because it was made for a specific reason. Should we put some lavender in our gun powder so it smells like social correctness? Sensitive people need to take up knitting instead of changing good history for us. You have a great day.
I'm not wrong. Goobers get all weird about such things.

Latest posts

Back