• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee Valley

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armyeod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
New to this site and also new to the idea of a muzzleloading flintlock.
My uncle was a PA/KY long rifle collector back in the day.
I want something of good quality and shootable.
Been reading here about some manufacturers/makers.
Anybody have any opinions on Tennessee Valley guns?
I am interested in this:
Lancaster

I've not done business with TVM, but have heard enough good things about them that I wouldn't hesitate to. I just finished an early Lancaster early yesterday and absolutely love it! These are big rifles, and not quite as fine and graceful as later types, and really suits me. I hunt Kentucky and fighting my way through the thickets and briars around here would make pretty short work of a more refined and elegant gun. I finished mine to appear it had spent several seasons hunting the Middle Ground, and am quite pleased with the outcome.

I have an earlier version of a TVM Fowler made when Jack Garner owned the company. Mine is a fine gun and rifles built by Matt Avance are nice rifles.

As the site states, these are made in the spirit of an early Lancaster rifle. You can do a few semi custom options to make the rifle more early in appearance. First, get the 42 inch swamped barrel. The advantages you get in handling more than overcome the added cost. Second, get brass furniture. Brass was the common material for trigger guards, butt plates et al. Third, get a round faced lock. Early rifles had the round faced lock. Fourth, specify your length of pull if you know it. Otherwise it will be 14 inches.

While you are waiting for the gun to be built and delivered, find a mentor who will help you learn the artistry (tuning, flint selection, and black powder supplies) of shooting a flint lock rifle. Get a range rod with appropriate cleaning jag.

While you can, order "Black Powder Accuracy " from Dutch Schultz. Lots of threads on this forum about Dutch's system so you can find a link to how to order the system.

Read up on the instructions available on this site and prepare for a wonderful experience.

Ive bought 2 kits from them, a Tennessee Poor boy and the last one was an Early Lancaster. They have been very good. I had a little problem with vent hole alignment and they paid to have it sent back, fixed it and paid for its return with a bunch of extras.

How far from Cross Plains Tenn. are you?

Tip Curtis sells some nice guns, that he builds, from that location.

I bought one a few years ago. It was in the white and I finished it. Pretty sweet deal. He use all quality parts and wood.

You might find building one is tremendously more rewarding and satisfying than just buying one.

Lots of good and reasonably priced kits on the market. Check out Track of the Wolf, that's a great place to find them. Most guys here build and can help you along the way.

I've got more than one long gun from TVM and have been very satisfied with all of them. I always specified the type/make of barrel, lock, wood and of course the dimensions of the stock. You can ask for a specific wrist Dia and other things as well. Matt really does stand behind his builds and goes the extra mile to make sure customers are satisfied.
7405ae69_0012_4efa_886d_2651c9c08aae_zpswsnzqleq_1.jpg

I live in Belgium and own a Iron Pennsylvania that they build for me last year. I couldn't be more pleased. Friendly people, correct in their dealings, very good quality, easy to work with...

This is of course just my opinion an is not worth the time to type it but I would take the trip to Tips if I were you. This in no way is a slam of TVM but if you order a gun from them then that is what you will have an the choice is then limited. If you go to tips you will be able to hold several an even pick an choose caliber an different locks an furniture offerings an of course feel the diff styles of guns an how they shoulder an balance an I feel that makes for a more informed decision on a expensive purchase :hmm:

Tip Curtis is certainly highly respected. I have no guns by him, but not from wanting one. And there is little or no wait. With TVM there is a wait. But the choices are many. While Matt offers several generic styles there's virtually no limit to what you can choose. For instance, the rifle I posted above is NOT offered by TVM. It doesn't fit into any style pictured on their website or their catalog. It's a true one-of-a-kind that no one else has. I simply required something different and he built it.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either of these builders. You might also add Jim Kibler's kits.

I have a TVM Late Lancaster in .40 flintlock. I didn't order it from them, I found it at a local ML shop. I like it, very nice.

In that Lancaster, opt for the 42" swamped barrel. It makes a day and night difference in how easy it is to put the rifle on target and keep it there. Swamped barrels make for a much better balanced and slightly lighter rifle. Are you familiar with swamped barrels? They are expensive, but worth every penny.

Although not a TVM rifle, I have one rifle (Traditions PA Longrifle) with a 40¾" straight octagon barrel and another Early Lancaster rifle with a 44½" swamped barrel. My much longer Early Lancaster rifle is almost 2-pounds lighter than the Traditions (much slimmer build) and it's beautifully balanced making it a dream to handle. Just say YES to a swamped barrel on your build.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

I totally agree. For an all around rifle nothing beats or even approaches the balance of a swamped barrel. I have three rifles with swamped barrels and can't see ever getting another built without one.

is there a web site for Tip? I will be moving to AL (northern) and maybe not far from him?

He has no web site I know of, but the last info I have for Tip is:

P.O.Box 203
Cross Plains, Tenn. 37049
615-654-444
[email protected]

That's several years old, but should still be good.

I do also recommend to visit Tip's shop if you are close. He usually has a large selection of rifles on hand and you can try them for fit - buy if you like right then & there. TVA makes some very nice guns also and you can have them tailor one to dimensions given to them by you. This may be good or bad - you may not have the experience to supply the proper dimensions they need and you end up with a gun that does not fit you properly then you will blame them for not making a gun that fits you. Either way who every you chose between them they both furnish a nice rifle. For me if I can hold and see the rifle in person that's the way I would lean towards :wink: :v .

Back