• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Late Lancaster TVM that I bought as a Kit last year and finished a few months ago. I ordered a Rice barrel straight Oct in .32 . . . I've not got it totally dialed in yet, but it's more due to my lack of practice and perhaps my older eyes than it is the rifle or the load. I ran out of time but hope to hunt squirrels with it in the fall of 17 and shoot it A LOT this coming summer.

I love their early VA.

TVM is great to work with. . they are good folks and will work with you to meet your wants and needs. I have no complaints at all.

I have heard the "slab side complaint" but I don't really see it, though I have a smaller caliber rifle and slightly smaller barrel. I have a Chambers kit that I hope to start soon, and I did notice that they really round their forestock more and leave a lot less wood on their kits. . it's just a difference, as long as you take that extra off, there's not problem with that about the TVM. . . I don't know what a TVM built rifle looks like in that regard.

9f51d227-5a75-459d-9b4b-16d4eb2ac2ac_zpsngufyozh.jpg

IMG_1407_zpsd5z89t5p.jpg

IMG_1403_zps5m3gggqv.jpg

I have more than one rifle from TVM and three have swamped barrels, one Green mountain and two Rice. The "slab sided" statement, IMHO, isn't really a problem. Yes, some rifles do get delivered with a little more wood on them than usual. Their customer service is second to none.

This is my TVM SMR .36 X 38" straight barrel. Nothing "slab sided" about this little featherweight.

Zonie said:
The only thing I don't like about their stocks is the method they use to make the channel for the ramrod.

That, and many of them have such a thick web that it makes the forestock slab-sided (as mentioned in other posts). I agree that not all of them are this way, but I've seen a LOT of them that are. They build them this way to cut cost by increasing the speed with which they can crank guns out of the shop.

I have one and it certainly shoots! I bought it second hand and the original owner had the Chambers lock sent out for a top-notch tuning job. While nothing to do with TVM, that lock is the best functioning lock I've ever seen, which adds to the value of the rifle for any flintlock shooter.

Net, I think TVM fills a highly needed niche for a gun that is better than "production" but not so fancy or with so much care about duplicating a specific school perfectly, that they can build guns at a good price for most buyers.

In general, I don't think they will compare in beauty to a finely crafted muzzleloader built with lots of time and love by a highly skilled builder. But for up to thousands less they are a good value. :2

I have an Early Virginia Rifle from them. Overall it's very nice but I have had two issues...

1) I've had to send the lock back twice for different issues. The first time was a spring issue. The 2nd was due to the forward bolt being too long and it putting pressure on the frizzen spring leading to the frizzen screw breaking. Obviously the first of these issues was not the fault of TVM.

2) The other issue is the forward bolt channel holding the side plate and the lock in place isn't drilled straight but at a slight angle. To get the bolt thru I have to hammer it in. It's not at such an extreme angle that I can't get it to screw into place, but it's a bit sloppy.

In either event TVM has been very helpful in fixing the lock issues.

Sooter76 said:
To get the bolt thru I have to hammer it in. It's not at such an extreme angle that I can't get it to screw into place, but it's a bit sloppy.
Try taking the ramrod out before putting the screw in and out. Also, look at the last 4" of the rod. If it's marred up this might be the problem. If that's not the case, open the hole up with a bigger drill. You shouldn't have to hammer any of the lock screws in.

Thanks for all the info, those are some awesome muzzleloaders, so I sent an order to TVM Early Virginia swamped barrel, upgraded wood. about eight month wait.
Thanks to all

Back