• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading - Virginia Pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am kind of excited to start shooting this rifle. Hopefully first thing tomorrow morning!

FullShotRIghtSide.jpg

Siler Lock

Lock.jpg

Muzzle with beautiful fit and finish:

Muzzle.jpg

Here is a close up of that pesky rear sight I was worried about cutting in. TVM tells me - only need a hacksaw blade width. Even I can handle that!

RearSight.jpg

Makers name on Lamond Hammock Barrell

MakersNameOnBarrell.jpg

Pretty trigger guard

TriggerGuard.jpg

So, tomorrow is the big day for me. Cut the sight and go sight it in!

Sound good !

Food for thought...if you'll only be using it in good light at a shooting range with plenty of time for target acquisition, a rear slot the width of a hacksaw blade may be all you need.

But if you're going to hunt with it in the woods...which are usually much darker, particularly early and late in the day...you might find you'll need to go to a wider slot.

A new Flintlock is a lot of fun...enjoy !

I can handle a blade width, but wonder how in the world you could widen to two blade thickness'.

Maybe a dremmel with a grinding wheel. Not precise, but fast.

I'm open for suggestions.

Fast is not good...

Woops!!! :shake:

"Dear Sirs,

Could you send me a new rear sight for my new rifle, I had a small accident and need to replace it. I also have a long gouge on the top flat of my barrel, is they any way of filling it back in?

Yours,"

I had run away dremel tools in the past on other projects. :hmm:

yes files are the way to go. I never met a file i did not like or one i could pass up at a flea-market the odder the shape the more likely it will come home with me. cut with saw if need wider use files. if you are tempted to use motto tool tape leather to barrel or remove sight from barrel.
nice looking Virginia let us know how it shoots.

First you take the time- lots of time-- to mark out the width of the new rear sight notch on the sight, either using a scriber, some marking dye and a scriber, or tape on which you can use a colored pencil. Then, you carefully open the notch to your lines with either a file, or grinding bit, working very slowly.

There is nothing fast about using a Dremel Tool, CORRECTLY, IMHO. You can remove metal, but you can't usually put it back on unless you are set up with welding equipment.

Because of my age, I like my notches to be wide enough that there is the same amount of Daylight on both sides of the front sight blade, or post, as the blade or post appears to be wide, looking through the rear sight notch with the stock mounted to my shoulder as I would normally hold the gun for off-hand shooting.

How wide that is depends on both the actual width of the front sight blade, or post, the distance between the two sights, and the distance your eye is from the rear sight. Since that will vary from individual to individual, and from barrel length to barrel length, this has to be SLOW, CAREFUL work to get it right.

Of course, replacement sights are not all that expensive, but then you have to start all over again widening the rear notch. Take your time, double check all measurements, and " sneak up" on those lines.

Finally, for best viewing, remember to file or grind a bevel within the notch so that the front of the rear sight notch is slightly wider than the rear of the rear sight notch. This will keep light from reflecting into your eye off the side walls of the notch, causing the edges to appear " fuzzy" in strong light.

Excellent suggestions. I shot it today without making any modifications on the sight. It will get modfied, but not until I am really familiar with the way it is set up now.

I shot it today and was keeping the shots on 4" bulls at 25 yards with just 55 grains of powder. It shot far better than I could shoot it. Awesome gun. I couldn't be happier.

There is an actual sight file made. It cuts only on the two edges with the sides smooth so that you don't make your cut on a bias. It works really good.
volatpluvia

Ain't nothin' better than going into the woods with a long rifle.
Beautiful!! Is that spalted maple? Fred Miller has one that I saw when at Dixon's that I sure would like to have, but the BOSS says I got enough irons in the fire. Carry her proud!

They handle heavy loads well with that stock.
I shoot 100grns out of my 50 for a hunting load.
very accurate with my Rice barrel.
:hatsoff:

Good luck with your new piece. :thumbsup: You have received some very good advice. :thumbsup: Forget the power tools!!! :surrender:
Dusty :wink:

Back