• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading Fowler Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read pretty good reviews of TVM's guns and kits. I am interested in a smoothbore (I have a .75 re-stocked Bess) in a smaller caliber and the Early American Fowler that TVM offers seems very nice (62 cal/20 gauge). I would be interested to know any particulars about the lock, and will give them a call about this kit.
Has anyone any experience in this fowler? I would appreciate any feedback and reviews. Attached is the picture they provide on their website.

Thanks!
Bob

Attachments

• TVM Fowler.jpg
    TVM Fowler.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 113
I have one signed by Matt Avance in ,62 cal. I believe it has a Large Siler lock. I have found it to be quite reliable, and it throws good patterns. However, the stock configuration tends to slap me in the face a bit. It's quite consistent with ball loads as well. Overall, I find it to be a very nice fowler. The only negatives I can find are...The stock has additional wood that could be removed, and the Ramrod chanel is a bit low, leaving the forearm a bit bulky.

Last edited:
Yup. Have to agree with Winchester97 on a few points. I don't have the fowler, I have a smoothrifle from them. Overall it is a good, solid, reliable gun, but, definitely could have been put on a diet.
The web tends to be thick, dropping the ramrod low and adding mass and weight to the forward part of the stock. Mine actually has a gap between the rod end and the muzzle cap with could potentially be a place for brush to hang up if a jag is not left attached to the rod.
The extra wood and thick web seems to be a common criticism of their guns.

Not sure how much weight and extra bulk can be taken off from one of their kits. My gun was purchased unfired from someone else who had it built and finished by them. Some of the other issues with fitting of some of the parts you won't have a problem with as you are the one doing the fitting and inletting.

Thanks Winchester97 and Brokennock. I was looking at the photo and it did not appear as thin in the forestock as many fowlers I have seen pictures of. A thick web is something I have found on other stocks such as Pecatonica- very nice but thick. I wonder if I could modify the ramrod channel/web with a rat-tailed rasp to taper it down somewhat from the entry pipe area to the muzzle to lessen the profile...
But happy to know the general product is pretty good.

I completed this fowler kit from TVM for my son’s Christmas gift 2 years ago. I couldn’t have been more pleased with this fowler. I did add rear sights and a sling. This 20 bore is a very good choice.
I have read pretty good reviews of TVM's guns and kits. I am interested in a smoothbore (I have a .75 re-stocked Bess) in a smaller caliber and the Early American Fowler that TVM offers seems very nice (62 cal/20 gauge). I would be interested to know any particulars about the lock, and will give them a call about this kit.
Has anyone any experience in this fowler? I would appreciate any feedback and reviews. Attached is the picture they provide on their website.

Thanks!
Bob

Attachments

• 7FCE4ADE-20F8-4FAD-944A-EBF443495A60.jpeg
    7FCE4ADE-20F8-4FAD-944A-EBF443495A60.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 127
I have a TVM fowler. I love it, have no problems shooting patched RB with it. I haven't tried shooting shot with it yet though. I don't know a ton about muzzle loaders,(that's why im here, to learn) but it feels perfect in my hands. mine has a really nice slim profile, octagon to round with wedding band, .62 cal. couldn't be happier with it. guys at reenactments are always asking me where I got it.

Did you solder the front sight on or is it dovetailed?
I'm not a builder, but based on the story of my smoothrifle, I would highly advise against dovetailing the front sight on a round barrel.

The original owner ordered the gun to be built. When he got it the front sight had been dovetailed. It didn't seem to shoot as well as expected and he could feel a tight spot in the bore under the sight. He contacted TVM and they had him return the gun. They replaced the barrel with a new one. Unfortunately (for the original owner, but fortunately for me) the owner had shoulder surgery before the gun was returned and couldn't shoot the gun,,, so sold it to me.

I can't quite tell from the couple of pics posted here buy, it does look like the end of the ramrod is closer to the muzzle cap on these guns than on my smoothrifle.

Just to put it out there, given that TVM has a good reputation overall,,, but, the criticisms of their guns are consistently the same things.
Have you considered a Sitting Fox kit?
Because they shop out the work on their finished guns, the finished ones don't have the best reputation.
But, their kit got good reviews from @Artificer

I'm not a builder, but based on the story of my smoothrifle, I would highly advise against dovetailing the front sight on a round barrel.

The original owner ordered the gun to be built. When he got it the front sight had been dovetailed. It didn't seem to shoot as well as expected and he could feel a tight spot in the bore under the sight. He contacted TVM and they had him return the gun. They replaced the barrel with a new one. Unfortunately (for the original owner, but fortunately for me) the owner had shoulder surgery before the gun was returned and couldn't shoot the gun,,, so sold it to me.

I can't quite tell from the couple of pics posted here buy, it does look like the end of the ramrod is closer to the muzzle cap on these guns than on my smoothrifle.

Just to put it out there, given that TVM has a good reputation overall,,, but, the criticisms of their guns are consistently the same things.
Because they shop out the work on their finished guns, the finished ones don't have the best reputation.
Thanks- can you elaborate on the criticisms that seem to be consistent with TVM guns? It would help me out. Thanks!

Hi Nock,

I'm afraid you have me mixed up with someone else? I don't think I've ever reviewed one of their kits, as I've never worked on one. No problem, just wanted to set that straight.

Gus

Thanks- can you elaborate on the criticisms that seem to be consistent with TVM guns? It would help me out. Thanks!
As it would apply to kits, not finished guns, the number one criticism would be weight. They just seem like they could be trimmer. Part of this seems to be that thick web, which my impression is that there isn't much that can be done about it. But, as I've said, I'm not a builder.
Not sure how much is already done for you on their kits. While overall the finished guns are good guns, their seems to often be minor issues with fitting and inletting. Nose caps that aren't centered is one I've read of a few times and mine has this, just as an example. But I'm thinking this is something that will not be an issue with a kit as you will be fitting and inletting the parts. Unless you're really talking about an "in the white" gun.

TVM usually installs Siler (Germanic) locks on their rifles and smoothbores. While these are good locks, an English lock would be more appropriate. They are of generic style and of the the period as opposed to being a replica of a firearm from a specific maker of school of makers. These are most often very good firearms.

I spoke with one of the nice ladies at TVM about the Fowler kits. With some of the "extras" I was asking about (installing the barrel lugs, for example), the cost went over $1000 for the plain maple fowler kit.
I also considered Chambers (only 2+ hour drive from me) to see about a possible visit and Barbie was very welcoming. I also called the good folks at Pecatonica about their Tulle. With some extras (barrel lugs installed as well as the front turtle sight soldered on, and the butt plate fitted and cut for a 14" pull) and all brass (not steel) mountings , a plane Maple Tulle Fusil de Chasse ran something like $860, including shipping. I have crafted some nice guns using their stocks and component parts and with that I ordered their 20 gauge. (By the way, Jason said the stock prices will be going up very soon). I was told 6 to 8 weeks wait time.
I am happy about this final choice :)

Last edited:
Be prepared for some members to tell you that most tulles had iron not brass furniture and maple isn’t really a PC stock choice except maybe for some colony restock jobs. I’m sure it’ll be a shooter regardless.

4DF02712-650E-4039-8EDC-0B825B2737E6.jpeg

My TVM fowling piece built from a kit in 2008. Went with the Chambers Virginia lock, not a fan of flat locks. I love this gun.

Be prepared for some members to tell you that most tulles had iron not brass furniture and maple isn’t really a PC stock choice except maybe for some colony restock jobs. I’m sure it’ll be a shooter regardless.

View attachment 100893
My TVM fowling piece built from a kit in 2008. Went with the Chambers Virginia lock, not a fan of flat locks. I love this gun.
Nice fowler!
And yeah, I know how some folks here are about things not being historically correct. My answer is simple- I am not recreating a period piece, I am building what I want to build and quite happy to do so :)

Last edited:
Back