• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tennessee Thompson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just for your reading pleasure šŸ˜€

Itā€™s raining here in East Tennessee today so I took the Thompson Center Hawken .50 caliber out since it hadnā€™t been shot in a while. Iā€™d forgotten how much I like this rifle. When I bought it several years ago, I didnā€™t like it at first and it took some getting used to. Over the years other guns came along and this ended up at the back of the pile.

30 yards off hand (forgot my sand bags)
60 grains 2f Pyrodex
Homemade .495 patched round ball with Crisco lube.
Bad eyes
106B6493-2208-4551-94C6-B6B160DF4968.jpeg

Last edited:
Tell me about that knife.
Sure. Check out a thread I posted April, 2022 in the accoutrements section ā€œFavorite Knifeā€ for more pictures of that knife. I plowed it up from the garden a couple years ago. It was very rusty and missing handles. I cleaned it and made handles and a sheath from scraps that were in the shop. I canā€™t find any markings on it. It sharpens easy to a razor edge. I have a lot of expensive knives but none I like as well as this old one. Itā€™s a dandy patch knife.

So, curious on the little powder measure. Do you just bore it out 'til you have the right amount? Are you then sealing it with anything or just keeping it natural?

Hope I can explain this clearly enough. I have a clear, plastic, 120 grain, tube powder measure from Pyrodex that I use as a standard or guide. I use a drill bit that matches the inside diameter of the tube.

I slide the bit in the tube to the desired grains (I work backward from 120 since Iā€™m going in thru the top) and mark the drill bit with painters tape. This gives the correct diameter and depth for the grains needed.
I drill the antler to the depth marked by the tape.

Next, Iā€™ll fill the antler with sand. Then pour the sand from the antler back into the clear tube measure to check the volume. Most times I get it right on the first try. If it lacks a little, Iā€™ll open the top of the antler some with sand paper or small file.

I will use some wood stain to give it a look that I like. Thatā€™s it. Fairly simple.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back