• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tennessee Mountain Rifle photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a couple of pictures of the "Southern Mountain Rifle" Mike Davis built for me last year when I first got her.
Here's the link: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...296208/post/1506101/hl//fromsearch/1/#1506101

We weren't trying for a specific copy of an original. I'll also add that I didn't want this rifle to be too much "Upper-East Tennessee", like the Soddy-Daisy rifles for example.
Don't know if this is what you have in mind..but it's a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, sweet! I hope I can build something similar. I was able to trade a .54 Hawken barrel for a .36 longrifle barrel at the Berryville shoot, and hope to build a light(er) squirrel gun out of it. Thank you, Don and Eric, keep your powder dry, George.

Eric,
You did an outstanding job on that rifle!!

Here's mine....

It was made by Don Kammerer, the designer of the CVA "mountain rifle". It has no buttplate or entrance ramrod thimble. It has a small teardrop sideplate.

I have posted this picture before but couldn't find my original post to reference....Mick C

Wow! Thanks for the pictures!I love the long, sleek look of the Southern guns, and the first I built many moons ago was a .32 poorboy rifle with a Douglas barrel and a Dixie 'Ashmore' lock in plain maple. Long gone, had a family to feed in hard times. Can't wait to build another, maybe this time with more iron trim. Lots of critters here about that need someone to reach out and touch them. :grin: Be safe, George.

Hanshi, that is a beautiful rifle, what I would expect from a Virginia gentleman! Mine will be very plain, like a Bean or Lawing rifle, with maybe some different things like the trigger guard, and maybe some antler pieces for the nosecap, heelplate, and maybe sideplate. I just want a homegrown rifle with minute of squirrel capability, Ha! Your rifle is the kind of beauty that lures one away from the plain into the realm of the quality. I must be careful not to put on airs! Thank you for your response, I value your comments on the Forum, George.

Treestalker, mine's a poorboy and I ordered it with a plain maple stock, believe it or not. I was as surprised as anyone when I opened the box and saw the striping on it.

Regardless of what you expected, that stock has more stripes than the average tiger. = BEAUTIFUL.

My next firearm will likely be a .58 caliber, FL left-hand "Southron frontier-style pore-boy", of the sort that a talented local blacksmith, in a place like Nacogdoches, Harrisburg or Captain Shreve's Port, might have made after 1818 for a typical emigrant to New Spain.

yours, satx

Well, Hanshi, I bet you were surprised! It's a lovely rifle and in good hands. When I build mine, the wood will be a precarve in plain or slight curl maple, probably from Pecatonica or Track. What I receive is what I'll use. Just the luck of the draw, as they say. I plan on making my own iron furniture from scratch. Good Shooting my friend. George.

Thought Id post a few pics of my .32 cal. that made by an old friend who has since passed. He was just a hobbyist but his love for building and skills were second to none.

Latest posts

Back