• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ten or one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Here’s a fun question for you. Would you rather have ten muzzleloaders that you think are only so-so and don’t shoot very much or just one excellent muzzleloader that you want to shoot a lot?

This is just for fun but I think the answers will be interesting.

Have a good day.

Banjoman

One if that is the way it had to be. I have one very nice longrifle, 1 CVA Mountain Rifle, 1 Traditions Hawken, 1 Pedersoli shotgun, 1 Traditions Kentucky pistol and 1 CVA Mountain pistol. They all get shot, they are all durable guns that do what they are supposed to.

My main problem with multiple guns is which one do I want to shoot today. I've tried the round robin but I always seem to be wanting to shoot something other than what I brought today. Shooting more than one muzzle loader at a time just gets tedious for me. With the round robin I'd only get to shoot a gun about every two months the way I go to the range.

Here’s a fun question for you. Would you rather have ten muzzleloaders that you think are only so-so and don’t shoot very much or just one excellent muzzleloader that you want to shoot a lot?

This is just for fun but I think the answers will be interesting.

Have a good day.

Banjoman
One excellent!

I gotta have at least two, likely three - since my state laws mandate over .40cal deer & under .40cal for small game, and there's always a need for a smoothbore for game birds.

Of course, if forced to only one, a smoothie is good for anything that walks, flies or crawls here.

(I don't use a muzzleloader for fish... ;) )

30+ years ago after visiting Friendship (NMLRA)
for the 1st time - I came home to sell all my modern stuff so I could buy a nice original. Have never missed or regretted.
I've never been to Friendship but enjoy being a member and learn much from the Magazine. I also buy the raffle tickets every year, not expecting to win, but the money goes to a good cause.

I have my one faithful target rifle that I made thirty years ago that I shoot most often. But I have several others that I have picked up over the years. Some for my boys, some for the grandkids, and many I bought from people who thought they were "shot out" I clean them up ,lap or refresh the bores and then resell them. I figure I make about two dollars an hour for my "clean up and rebuild" time. But it makes me feel good to salvage a rifle others have given up on.

I love the question but have no simple answer. Years ago, when I was young [under 75] I had only two or three. As I grew older and less apt to shoot a lot, my love of these critters just intensified. Both of my wives [deceased and current] also love[d] em so we saw guns we could not resist. It is just as you now suspect; we have 12 rifles, one build started, and another lovely full-stock Hawken to arrive next Monday. Still more fever: nine pistols and six revolvers. We also recently sold one rifle and gave away three rifles and three pistols We have most of ours displayed prominently in the home office and at the fireplace. We shoot as often as we feel like it and would shoot more often were it not for doctors, church and ailments. BP is addictive but it is still cheaper than drinking, golf, collector cars or divorces. I will be 90 in a few months and Betty will be 82 this Sunday. We will keep enjoying this life until the Lord calls me [us] home. Polecat and Li'l Sparrow

I love the question but have no simple answer. Years ago, when I was young [under 75] I had only two or three. As I grew older and less apt to shoot a lot, my love of these critters just intensified. Both of my wives [deceased and current] also love[d] em so we saw guns we could not resist. It is just as you now suspect; we have 12 rifles, one build started, and another lovely full-stock Hawken to arrive next Monday. Still more fever: nine pistols and six revolvers. We also recently sold one rifle and gave away three rifles and three pistols We have most of ours displayed prominently in the home office and at the fireplace. We shoot as often as we feel like it and would shoot more often were it not for doctors, church and ailments. BP is addictive but it is still cheaper than drinking, golf, collector cars or divorces. I will be 90 in a few months and Betty will be 82 this Sunday. We will keep enjoying this life until the Lord calls me [us] home. Polecat and Li'l Sparrow
Amen Brother!

Back