• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TEMPTATION!!!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have a Jim Chambers Mark Silver rifle kit that still needs finishing. I also have to get and make my gear so I can go trekking.
Wife is visiting her family and I am taking a road trip from Arizona to maybe Yellowstone to do some writing and photography. And here lies the temptation: driving to Track of the Wolf and purchasing a Fusil de Chase kit!!!!
Somebody stop me!
I figure I can maybe get some other gear too, but that kit will be about a grand.
So I’m torn between leaving the FDC for later or getting it, finishing the rifle, and then hitting the FDC.
Then I also consider the gear I can get with a fraction of the cost of the FDC.
Am I nuts, and if so, does anyone else share in this madness?!

So I have a Jim Chambers Mark Silver rifle kit that still needs finishing. I also have to get and make my gear so I can go trekking.
Wife is visiting her family and I am taking a road trip from Arizona to maybe Yellowstone to do some writing and photography. And here lies the temptation: driving to Track of the Wolf and purchasing a Fusil de Chase kit!!!!
Somebody stop me!
I figure I can maybe get some other gear too, but that kit will be about a grand.
So I’m torn between leaving the FDC for later or getting it, finishing the rifle, and then hitting the FDC.
Sounds normally crazy to me, I'm good with it. :thumb:

stopme.gif

Somebody stop me!

Well you kind of lost me on AZ to Yellowstone, which would only put TOW about a thousand miles, each way, out of the way.

With that kind of dedication, I say go for it.

Well you kind of lost me on AZ to Yellowstone, which would only put TOW about a thousand miles, each way, out of the way.

With that kind of dedication, I say go for it.

LOL!
982 miles and 14 hours, 33 minutes driving. from Yellowstone to Track of the Wolf.

Yeah I know, sounds nuts. But it would be a road trip to enjoy. I could also wait and see about attending that big historical show up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. But then, I could also do both.

Honestly what's holding me back is the slamming down of a grand after the fuel cost etc. I'm selling my skoolie project, so if that goes through in time I will do it for sure.

LOL!
982 miles and 14 hours, 33 minutes driving. from Yellowstone to Track of the Wolf.

Yeah I know, sounds nuts. But it would be a road trip to enjoy. I could also wait and see about attending that big historical show up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. But then, I could also do both.

Honestly what's holding me back is the slamming down of a grand after the fuel cost etc. I'm selling my skoolie project, so if that goes through in time I will do it for sure.

I have made roughly that trip before, a number of times, as I used to live in NM for years and had family in MN. It is a nice drive and you have options too.

Anyone here been to Track of the Wolf store? Do they have all the awesome stuff in the catalog there to see and purchase?

It has been a few years since I have been there. When I was there the front was a small shop. They had quite a few new and used guns on display, some accessories and stuff that I imagined sold pretty steady, and quite a bit of clearance and "seconds" (I got a good deal on a bullet mold and some ramrod blanks)

Everything else (most) was in the back where they processed online orders, and available for purchase on request.

Like I said, been a while so I don't know if that h as changed.

Darn it!
Looking at the TOTW sight, the Fusil de Chase stock (walnut) is back-ordered and expected in 180 days. The Colerain barrel 270 days. The BBL barrel 30. And the ramrod and lock also backoredered but with no date mentioned.
It may be good just to order it online and focus on finishing my rifle, then I'll have the Fusil maybe in six months or so.

Question though: regarding the barrels, they list:

[BBL-FOWL-20-44] Barrel, 20 gauge, Fowler, .620" smooth bore, 44" octagon-to-round, "C" profile, 4.2 lb, flared tang plug, made in the U.S.A. [$230.00]
and
[COLE-FOWL-20] Barrel, 20 gauge, Fowler, .615" smooth bore, 44" octagon-to-round, "C" profile, 4.36 lb, flared tang plug, by Colerain [$250.00]

I've heard of Collerain but what's "BBL"?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do y'all think of these as far as authenticity and quality; on their own merit as well as compared to TOTW?

http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-17/http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-16/http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-6F/
Pretty much the same kit as TOTW and Pecatonica River Muzzleloaders

Tulle or Fusil de Chasse, Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply

The gnu...... uuummmmm, canoe guns are copies of guns that the owners modified, cut down the barrels for better use on horseback, canoes, small river boats, etc. They were not manufactured that way.

Pipascus
We have all been there it is what we call in the UK {Putting mind over matter} something better will com along it always does
Feltwad

You say the parts you want are backordered and expected in 180 and 270 days. That right there says that if you want to attend the Living History Show in Kalamazoo, you should finish the riffle you have, THEN plan your trip to TOTW and Kalamazoo for next year, because the Kalamazoo show is in March.

Somebody stop me!
My wife talked to your wife and she said go ahead an buy it...

Some good points.
What confuses me is that the show I went to was definitely in Kalamazoo, but I could almost swear it was in December or January, and there was snow all over. But then I could be wrong. I will definitley try to get to it this year, unless they throw another plannedemic our way.

Latest posts

Back