• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Temporary bluing from Pedersoli, do they do it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guy posted this on a Facebook M/L board, I have never heard of "temporary bluing" used by any company, what say you guy who have bought Pedersoli kits.

He said;

I drove to Union City Tenn. for the intent purpose of buying a Pedersoli KY. flint rifle.....1994ish. IIRC, the salesman told me that the barrel finish isn't intended to be used permanently, and suggested that I should remove the blueing and finish as I desired.

Pedersoli Kits have a rust preventive bluing which has to be removed prior to finishing. Pedersoli's instructions says that the finish is applied to prevent rusting during storage and transit. The barrel is about 90% finished, but still some sanding and filing has to be done prior to the final finish, browning or bluing. Here is my Pedersoli Trade Gun Kit I bought from Dixie. I stripped the protective bluing with Eagle One Chrome Wheel Cleaner which is a heck of a lot easier than using using Naval Jelly. It comes in a pump spray bottle and only takes about 30 seconds for the finish to begin sliding off. I used scotchbrite and a tooth brush to scrub any tight areas on the barrel. Just make sure to flush with water to kill the action. They also say that the chrome cleaner will also easily remove a faux case hardening finish. I think that if you played around with the chrome cleaner, it could produce a light gray or dark gray antiqued finish. It seemed to lightly etch the surface which was perfect for the Laurel Mtn Browning solution.

Here are a couple of photos.
Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun Protective Bluing.jpg

Pedersoli Stripping Barrel Finish.jpg

Pedersoli Stripped Barrel.jpg

Pedersoli Finished Lock.jpg

Pedersoli Barrel.jpg

Pedersoli Barrel Finished.jpg

I guy posted this on a Facebook M/L board, I have never heard of "temporary bluing" used by any company, what say you guy who have bought Pedersoli kits.

He said;

I drove to Union City Tenn. for the intent purpose of buying a Pedersoli KY. flint rifle.....1994ish. IIRC, the salesman told me that the barrel finish isn't intended to be used permanently, and suggested that I should remove the blueing and finish as I desired.
My Pedersoli .50 Pennsylvania rifle kit has the temp blue on it. it is real light, and blochy,and you can see that the metal itself needs draw filling, and smoothing.

Dave

Maybe it’s something they only do on the kits.

Out of curiosity, has anyone who has purchased a Pedersoli kit, read the directions/instructions to see if that issue is addressed?

Know lots of folks will buy a kit or new gun and never read the instructions and wonder why they have problems.

Out of curiosity, has anyone who has purchased a Pedersoli kit, read the directions/instructions to see if that issue is addressed?

Know lots of folks will buy a kit or new gun and never read the instructions and wonder why they have problems.

Yes, it plainly states in the instructions that the barrel finish is not a permanent finish, that the barrel will need to be "Blued or Browned, Finishing Required". If you look at the first photo I posted above, the first photo shows the barrel transition from octagon to round and you can see tool marks (where the barrel was drawn) beginning between the wedding rings to the muzzle. Other than that, you could leave the finish and let it wear naturally, but you would have an uneven appearance. All I did was spend a little time sanding the barrel before browning. The barrel didn't take near as much time finishing as the Rice barrel for my .32.

Pedersoli Kits have a rust preventive bluing which has to be removed prior to finishing. Pedersoli's instructions says that the finish is applied to prevent rusting during storage and transit. The barrel is about 90% finished, but still some sanding and filing has to be done prior to the final finish, browning or bluing. Here is my Pedersoli Trade Gun Kit I bought from Dixie. I stripped the protective bluing with Eagle One Chrome Wheel Cleaner which is a heck of a lot easier than using using Naval Jelly. It comes in a pump spray bottle and only takes about 30 seconds for the finish to begin sliding off. I used scotchbrite and a tooth brush to scrub any tight areas on the barrel. Just make sure to flush with water to kill the action. They also say that the chrome cleaner will also easily remove a faux case hardening finish. I think that if you played around with the chrome cleaner, it could produce a light gray or dark gray antiqued finish. It seemed to lightly etch the surface which was perfect for the Laurel Mtn Browning solution.

Here are a couple of photos.
View attachment 111085
View attachment 111091
View attachment 111092
View attachment 111094
View attachment 111096
View attachment 111095
That came up very nicely , well done

That came up very nicely , well done
Thanks! I wanted a smoothbore kit that wasn't going to take a lot of time so I could be finished by squirrel season. I kept pretty good track of my time from start to finish and I have about 35 hours invested. I'm sure many are going to pick it apart, if nothing else because it is a Pedersoli. With limited time to devote, I didn't want to start something that would take months to complete and it meets my wants and needs at the moment.

If anyone wants to take a look, I put together an album which shows the Trade Gun from how I received it out of the box to completion, and I did cut the waves out of the serpent's tail and antique the brass as well.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun Kit from start to finish

Good work . I have handled 1 Pedersoli factory finish trade gun and I think yours is better .
I don't believe in antiquing anything ,after all the guns and knives and tools etc they used back in the day were new once .They never ran around the place with guns that looked 200 years old .They may have used them hard and put them away wet or broke them or whatever but they didn't look old just worn . Time and use will develop a patina and pattern of wear that is real and authentic.
I think Pedersoli do that preventative blue trick on their barrels to stop rust and potential pitting while the kit is in storage for an unknown time , it seems easier to clean up than rust

Time and use will develop a patina and pattern of wear that is real and authentic.

You must know something that I don't, I'm 64 years old and I doubt I'll ever see the natural age and patina I'm looking for with no more than I'm going to shoot or hunt with it. Besides, on a hunting arm, polished brass sticks out like a diamond in a goats butt in the woods.

I agree with cut finger.
I am working on 2 Pedersoli kits, at present, and I'm making them to look as new, in theyre time period. One kit is the Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle in .50 cal, and the other is a Brown Bess carbine (BB Indinan trade gun).
I just have to finnish the stock on the BB.

Dave

Back