• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tell me more about Bear Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a small jar of bear oil (about half is liquid and half congealed). Having read of Uncle Alvaro's recommendation of the stuff for lubrication and patches, I gave it a try (for patches). Result: patch material which worked perfectly with Moose Milk, Falkenberry Juice or just plain spit were blown to smithereens with the same loads when lubed with bear oil. Why? No idea; but there is apparently no magic in the stuff. YMMV.

mhb - MIke

Just have to pass this one on............There is a guy couple miles from here , that maintains a couple acre , pick-it -yourself berry patch. He was doing his chores around the patch and wanted to set out a trail camera to see what big bucks were coming out of his woods at night. He finished the camera and turned to head back to the house , and here comes momma blackie , and cub. He had no place to run , so picked the smallest tree to shinnie up. He got up about 7 feet , but the she bear reached up and bite his shoe. She pulled him down enough to bite his calf , then his butt cheek. He said it felt like a truck was hooked to his body when she was pulling. MS. Bear didn't notice she was on the edge of an ancient iron ore pit. During the struggle , she fell down into the 30 ft. deep pit. When she came back up to re-engage , the injured berry farmer was ready with a bat sized club and served her with a very smart strike between her muzzle and eye. Fortunately , she had enough and retreated , w/ cub in tow. Worse for the wear , the farmer underwent emergency surgery to remove part of the shredded muscle and hide from his calf. Over time skin grafts closed up the 7" wound at the top behind the knee and coming to a point at the back of the ankle. Then the months of therapy started. Moral of the story.....Take your smoke pole with ya any time yur in the Pensy. woods. There's potential bear danger out there..................oldwood

There's something about using bear tallow as a patch lube, bear oil on the lock, bear tallow on my hunting boots, and eating bear jerky during a bear hunt that seems so right.

Just checked and I got my bear tag in the draw. Muley buck tag too. Now I need to get an elk tag in the 2nd draw or leftover list.

Tanks :)

I've been thinking about how big bears can get in Colorado. It's not common but they're out there. I think a good plan is to bore out my barrel to .58. No interest in anything but a PRB and to get more power I need a bigger ball.

If peanut oil comes from peanuts, corn oil comes from corn and bear oil comes from bears, what does baby oil come from?

I have used both bear oil and bear tallow. Works fine in constant moderate temperatures but both will change consistency in the extremes. Whether this make a difference in performance or not, I’m not sure, but the fact that it visibly changes is bothersome to me. I have found mink tallow, my go to for patch lube, better sustains its consistency in the extremes of temperature without any observable changes in performance. For oil/lubrication of moving parts,, I prefer stick to the modern lubricants like Barricade.

I have been given a half gallon of pure bear oil. Clear, tawny, and slippery. I have used it for patch lube, with and without added beeswax. It is marvelous lubricant. And you can cook with it!! Once, back in the backwoods of Denali, AK, there is a shack where a homesteader lived. The first line of her recipe for blueberry pie is ....first, go kill a black bear......she used black bear oil for her cooking and it was FINE!

ADK Bigfoot

ADK............Yur makin me hungry , all this talk of blueberry pie , n-such. I grew up among transplanted W.Va. coal miners , and we picked berries of all kind in season. Everybody went to the A+P mkt. cross the Mon. River in Masontown, Pa. , and come back with gold colored tin one gallon buckets of Lard. Oh for the glory of it. Such pie crust...UMMMMMMM. Nowadays all these medical quacks keepin me alive , would never let a piece of berry pie pass their lips. More for me............oldwood

Latest posts

Back