• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tell me about linen for RB patching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestick

40 Cal
Reaction score
Curious about linen used in Rb patching. Research says there is tow fiber linen and line fiber linen. Tow being of shorter fibers from flax and line being longer fibers. Which should be used? Can either be used? What are your experiences with it. What thicknesses have you found to be useful?

How do I tell if it is 100% linen? I have some from someones fabric stash. It burns when a lighter is held to it but burns into total ash. NOTHING left over.

linen is all ive ever used for many years. i go to a linen cloth site and buy meduium weight tight weave linen. mine has never burned or cut. ive precut them and i have cut them off at the muzzle. i never use round patches, only square if i precut them. patches cut off at the muzzle when recovered and just about square and never round. ive seen in very old books both square cut patches and round patches. i prefer square cut patches if i use a patch.

Another company that carries a lot of linen is www.denverfabrics.com.

My life's lessons when buying linen: when you find a lot that works, immediately re-order 5-6 yards of it!!

Too often I didn't and the finest linen I ever found simply disappeared.

if i remember right denver fabrics is the one ive used. you can pick up your used linen patches and relube them and use them again. that tough. if i could get tight weave hemp cloth that is supposed to be even better.

I use Blue stripedand Red striped pillow ticking and cotton Muslin And my wife’s a seamstress so I get all of her Cotton and wool scraps.You need to play around some fabrics swell different when moistened so thickness will var.

Latest posts

Back