• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tell me about Jukar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbw907

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Several months ago I ran across a used .45 rifle barrel at a flea market. It was a percussion barrel and it sparked my interest as a future project so I brought it home. Upon closer inspection I saw the name "Jukar" and "Spain" stamped on the barrel. The rifling is in excellent shape and the barrel is true. The breechplug came out without much trouble and everything seems to be good quality.The question I have is this, If I build a rifle with it, will it be considered a good choice of barrels, or should I go with a Green Mountain or some other better name? I'm going to use it regardless, but I wanted to know how the muzzleloading world views that name. Incidently, I have a .45 pistol that also has a Jukar barrel and it shoots wonderfully. I am not financially able to put a lot of money into my hobby so I mostly look for deals and the"Poor Boy Specials" I make all the parts that I can by hand to make the gun more personal. I know a lot of you do the same. Thanks, by the way for all the great advice that you all share. Great to be a part of it all. Shannon :grin: :grin: :grin:

Mine prefers black powder over pyrodex. I have a .45 to. Shoots pretty good. I replaced the jukar drum with a CVA and it liked it better.. :grin: :hmm:

My own personal opinion is that Jukar generally speaking made low cost, moderatly low quality guns.
The weakest part on them is the lock which often did not have hardened tumblers. This, plus the soft steel lockplate leads to rapid wear where the tumbler axel goes thru the lockplate. That gives the tumbler poor alignment with the sear and rapid wear on the sear notch.
The stock, trigger and hardware also were not the best to be found.

The barrels on the other hand are usually pretty well made and can shoot quite accurately.
How do they compare with a Green Mountain barrel? That is like comparing a Dodge with a Mercedes. Both will do the job of getting you to the store nicely but the quality isn't quite the same.

Put another way, a Green Mountain Barrel will not shoot worth a darn with a poor ball/patch/powder combination. With a optimum ball/patch/powder combination the Jukar will hold excellent groups.

My experience with Jukers was not to great. The early ones didn't have much for rifling and the reamer marks in the barrel were deeper than the rifling. Mine was a percusion and my cousen had the flint. At one shoot he and I had a shootout over the booby prize.This was about 35 years ago. If yours has good rifling then use it.

There are occassionally Jukar stocks, rusted barrels and new locks listed on eBay, and some whole guns on the gun auction sites. Search under "black powder", etc...on eBay, people sell many older guns as inexpensive parts.
Jukars do seem to still have some popularity too.

I picked up two cap rifles at flea markets,both factory. Have shot the one,it shoots real good,I shot a groundhog at 40yrds and one in the hole. Took it deer hunting, had a 35yrd shot and didn't get the deer. I looked for two days before I found the tree I hit, I knew that was what had happened as the deer was a biger target. I used 40gr 3ff on the hogs and 70grs on deer(RB). Have a pistol I got in 80"s,all 45, I use 25grs in it, I have shot many hogs with it. They usually are good shooters in cap locks, there flint locks are to slow for me. I had one,it shot good but I would move to right as lock was slow. Dilly

Back