• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

teflon coated patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsams

36 Cal.
Reaction score
what are the pro's and cons of teflon coated patches for round ball muzzleloading? and who sales it ?

Might want to do a search on them here. I believe there is a lengthy discussion on them.

You might try Francis Sansoucie,1103 W. Holloway Rd., Plant City Fl. 33567, Tel. 1-813-737-3805. .017 ticking. You might call first as this is older address. Its a little pricy for me but several shooters around here swear by it. If I can find it I also have and address somewhere in Texas and will post later if located.
Fox :hatsoff:

I'm surprised that Rabbit hasn't commented.
I know he was using Teflon coated patches in his competition guns at the last Winter Nationals.

For me, I'll just continue to use the old fashioned stuff to wrap my balls in. :hmm: :redface:

Teflon Patching Material:

Ye Olde Gun Shack
413 Washington
Iowa Park, TX 76367
940-592-5430

The Minute Man
5492 Millersburg Rd.
Wooster, OH 44691
330-262-5482

Pros:

1. Consistent winner in matches
2. Consistent lubrication.

Cons:

None

Teflon patches do not load any more difficult than any other patch material.

In all honesty, if you come to the State shoots in Texas, it is the patch material of choice and if you followed the Texas shooters to Friendship and Phoenix, it’s in their boxes for a reason, it does win.

RDE

If I were to guess what one of its advantages is it might be that there is no need to lubricate the patch. Teflon is very slippery on steel so it would provide lubrication for the patched ball.

Because it is not wet, there is no way for it to contaminate the powder it's sitting on when the patched ball is rammed down to the load.

The amount of powder that is contaminated when using grease, oil, spit or any other fluid for patch lubrication is a variable. That is to say, there is no exact way of controlling how much powder is contaminated on each shot without either using no lube or a dry wad between the patch and the powder (unless something like Teflon is used.)
Because the powder charge is not contaminated by the 'lube' the entire charge burns and consistency is maintained.
As all of the winning target shooters can tell us, consistency is the name of the game.

A disadvantage I can think of is if no lubrication is used on the patch there will be nothing to wet the fouling from the previous shot.
Loading a dry patch in a fouled bore isn't very easy.
Of course for a target shooter who wipes his bore after each shot this is not an issue but for the hunter or even the plinker who doesn't want to wipe the bore after each shot using a dry teflon patch might be an issue.

As was mentioned, cost is a lesser issue for some but not for everyone.
Tradition is another issue that has to be decided by the individual shooter. Some have no philosophical problem with using new technology while some would be aghast at even the thought of using it.

Richard well said that pretty well covers it. I might add it is great for a hunting patch. They are a dry patch and no lubes to worry about. :thumbsup:

Richard,
Is Marvin making it now or is he still getting it from Bonnie and Jim? :hmm: Noticed that sticker on the bag had Marvin's business name when I picked some up in October at the shoot.
Greg

Rat Trapper,
My personal insight :yakyak: I have found ,with my guns, that if you cut your patch at the muzzle regardless of the patch lube(teflon or MeLube) there is no difference in accuracy.The advantage being that you do not have to apply lube to the patch every time. Disadvantages I have found is --says on the bag---Do Not Wet,Keep Package Sealed. also Load coated side (blue) against barrel.And Main Disadvantage is $18.00.
Greg

Greg,

I precut all my patches and they are kept in labled baggies, that takes care of the label instructions. When hunting, the ball board goes in a snack size baggie and stays there all season.

On Zonie's thought of lubrication, line shooters clean after each shot and my wife found a very small pump bottle used for hair spray by travlers. That is what I carry my cleaning solution in while hunting.

Thanks

RDE

The Teflon Patch can be lubed. Many shooters here in the high dry plains use water. A very small amount of water rubbed into the Ball side of the patch works well. The pressure of the ball forces a little moisture thru the teflon. :thumbsup:

Thanks, got something else to try now.Will wait 'til it warms up a bit--don't want the water to freeze

thanks to all the people that have responded to my post. i will call the two phone numbers on the reply to check on ordering some. this is a great forum i find that i learn more about muzzleloading every time i sign on to this sight.

richard you stated that bonnie and jim are making the patches, do they sale it and if so how do i go about ordering some? thanks

jsams,

I checked my bags of teflon (full and empty) and below is what is on the labels of different bags:

Ye Olde Gun Shack
413 Washington
Iowa Park, TX 76367
940-592-5430

Bought from Starvin Marvin.

The font of the label "Texas Patchin'" of the Ye Olde Gun Shack is the same as "Hill Country Creation" font except that Hill Country Creations has a phone number off 830-935-2801 which I am sure is Bonnie.

The Minute Man
5492 Millersburg Rd.
Wooster, OH 44691
330-262-5482

I buy from Starvin Marvin in Brady when I am there and I buy from The Minute-Men on the sizes that Bonnie does not make.

Hope this helps, the price is the same from either place.

Thanks

RDE

richard thanks for the info, i called bonnie today and she will send the patching to me today. thanks again. js

Back