• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tee Pee Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 16 footer for years. It was great for wife and I and 2 kids plus 1 or 2 friends. I had a full size van with top racks for the poles. Setting up wasn't a problem with 2 kids to help. I'm too old now so gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago.

I've spent quite a few enjoyable nights in an 18' tipi in the high desert. They don't work worth a hoot in the rain of Southeast Alaska. I've seen 2 or 3 attempts that ended in failure due to heavy rain and wet snow. The main reason we white men have trouble setting up a tipi is that we try to do it ourselves while the Indians let the women do it.

It could be argued that those of you pitching the smaller tents, because of genetics or other shortcomings, are lucky, as it takes you the least amount of effort to get it up, and then, in a pinch, to put it back away, and with little risk of throwing out your back…. Or so I’ve heard.

Last edited:
I have owned, and used extensively, tipis from 12 to 18 feet. While the 18 will sleep a crowd the 12 is my choice for two of us. I have also used a tipi in heavy rains ... simply gutter it and close the smoke flaps. I still have a tipi but no poles; at 89 I no longer have the ability to do a tipi. So I have a wedge tent as well. Getting old ain't so bad ... sort of a slow paced life but still a joy. :thumb: Polecat

I've had an 18, a 16 and 12 in 25 + years. The 12 was the best to set up. Got old and have had a large wall tent, much more comfortable now. A stove is wonderful. If you are in a cooler climate like Maine someone has to doze to keep the fire going. No regrets on having the 3 sizes, I liked the 12 best ,easier to set up and heat. I don't ever want another!
Nit Wit
Can you stand up in a 12 footer without having to stand right up next to the fire?

Don't know about sanding up, but my 14' leaves plenty of room to walk a circle around the fire. Perfect size for 2 with wood pile inside to the right and the ice chest to the left. Always enter circling to the left, clockwise......

That being said. I always use the liner. It helps much with the draft. But it is only 4' tall. I'm 5'8" so my head is in the smoke if I stand....depending on the flaps and the draft.
If the Ozan is in place, game over. It's the same height as the walls. so Low ceiling except right around the fire. But is a definite need in winter. 20º Fweather

In my large 18' tipi from RK Lodges I was always wondering what size for two was best . I was in a 16' for a couple nights and liked it . From the responses 12 - 14' seems to be the agreed upon size for a smaller but still usable size. 12' for solo and 14' for 2

In the pre-horse days tipis were small as evidenced by the stone tipi rings I found on the top of coulee banks , only around 10 ft diam , dogs were used to pull the poles . I doubt any liner was used back then . So the cover was as much a windbreak as anything , fires were small and no doubt smoky if wood was damp

Is there much difference in a Crow tipi compared to the more available Sioux type ?

In my large 18' tipi from RK Lodges I was always wondering what size for two was best . I was in a 16' for a couple nights and liked it . From the responses 12 - 14' seems to be the agreed upon size for a smaller but still usable size. 12' for solo and 14' for 2

In the pre-horse days tipis were small as evidenced by the stone tipi rings I found on the top of coulee banks , only around 10 ft diam , dogs were used to pull the poles . I doubt any liner was used back then . So the cover was as much a windbreak as anything , fires were small and no doubt smoky if wood was damp

Is there much difference in a Crow tipi compared to the more available Sioux type ?
Crow is set slimmer on a quad instead of tripod. Blackfoot and crow similar with smaller smoke flaps on the black foot and larger on the crow, not as big as chyanne and Sioux.

I've owned 6 tipis - all 18 footers from variety of makers. Lived in a bunch full time for 12 and 1/2 years. First 3 yrs ground fires and then added wood stove to be kinder to lungs. Withstood 100 mph chinook winds and 20 below zero temperatures. Had bear, squirrels, skunks and mice as "guests" in the lodge. Would still be in them but having to move. Last 9 years in wall tents. Still have preference for tipis. Never had any blow over or get damaged from snow load in Colorado. Rendezvoused and hunted out of tipis many years prior to living full time in mine. Have had friends make elk hide and bison hide tipis. Very heavy and very expensive unless you make them yourself from scratch.

I’ve had some rather large fires in my teepee with out the cloth being effected at all. The most exciting time was when a fellow cooked a whole pound of bacon then after picking the meat out pored the grease into the fire. HUGE flare up! We all were hugging the ground and giving him the benefit of our knowledge on the act. That was on the hunt that is the top photo. No damage to the teepee, but he was banned from cooking!

Pretty smart move on his part! ;o)

I've had just the one tipi made of Sunforger material and it was good but I only had the tipi for 5 years using it for a few weekends each year before I sold it.

I see some tipi makers offer a cheaper tipi made from canvas with a water repellent coating - was wondering if anyone went that route and how long the coating lasts.

Also people say it's the bottom 2 ft that really need to be treated the most as that is where the dampness and mold spores really do their work . Is thinned oil paint on the bottom 2 ft a decent long lasting mold deterent ?

I've had just the one tipi made of Sunforger material and it was good but I only had the tipi for 5 years using it for a few weekends each year before I sold it.

I see some tipi makers offer a cheaper tipi made from canvas with a water repellent coating - was wondering if anyone went that route and how long the coating lasts.

Also people say it's the bottom 2 ft that really need to be treated the most as that is where the dampness and mold spores really do their work . Is thinned oil paint on the bottom 2 ft a decent long lasting mold deterent ?
Set it up on just a tripod inside out put a small punk fire inside and close the flaps. Let it smoke for a few hours. Then take it down move the poles and redo, so you smoke the white steaks from the poles
Put it up again on just three poles outside out and smoke again. Repeat after moving your set so you smoke your white stripes. Make sure it’s dry as a bone before you put it up. This will really cut the mildew.
If the nights are not below freezing set the bottom six inches or so off the ground. If it’s cold you want the cover all the way down and use your door as your air damper.
A trench for air to the outside really helps It draughts
The door to the east is nice but take in to account the wind when setting.

most appear to consider the teepee set up to be a pain, the larger the teepee the bigger the pain.
Never set one up myself. But, I have watched some being set up. All instances resembled a circus clown brigade at work. Usually I watched from the comfort of being under the flap of my one-poler lodge. Great shelter and no one ever scalped me for having it.

Never set one up myself. But, I have watched some being set up. All instances resembled a circus clown brigade at work. Usually I watched from the comfort of being under the flap of my one-poler lodge. Great shelter and no one ever scalped me for having it.
I loved my A frame, could set it up in less than five minutes by myself.

Back