Tee Pee Size

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Bighorserider

40 Cal
Reaction score
I had a 16 footer for years. It was great for wife and I and 2 kids plus 1 or 2 friends. I had a full size van with top racks for the poles. Setting up wasn't a problem with 2 kids to help. I'm too old now so gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago.

The Crisco Kid

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've spent quite a few enjoyable nights in an 18' tipi in the high desert. They don't work worth a hoot in the rain of Southeast Alaska. I've seen 2 or 3 attempts that ended in failure due to heavy rain and wet snow. The main reason we white men have trouble setting up a tipi is that we try to do it ourselves while the Indians let the women do it.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, Indian women owned the Tipi.
Today if you get a bit in your cups you don’t want to come back to HER Tipi and find your stuff outside😊

Bob McBride

54 Cal.
Reaction score
It could be argued that those of you pitching the smaller tents, because of genetics or other shortcomings, are lucky, as it takes you the least amount of effort to get it up, and then, in a pinch, to put it back away, and with little risk of throwing out your back…. Or so I’ve heard.

Last edited:

Dale Lilly

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned, and used extensively, tipis from 12 to 18 feet. While the 18 will sleep a crowd the 12 is my choice for two of us. I have also used a tipi in heavy rains ... simply gutter it and close the smoke flaps. I still have a tipi but no poles; at 89 I no longer have the ability to do a tipi. So I have a wedge tent as well. Getting old ain't so bad ... sort of a slow paced life but still a joy. :thumb: Polecat

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had an 18, a 16 and 12 in 25 + years. The 12 was the best to set up. Got old and have had a large wall tent, much more comfortable now. A stove is wonderful. If you are in a cooler climate like Maine someone has to doze to keep the fire going. No regrets on having the 3 sizes, I liked the 12 best ,easier to set up and heat. I don't ever want another!
Nit Wit
Can you stand up in a 12 footer without having to stand right up next to the fire?

nit wit

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It's pretty tight, not much room , a 14' might be better.
Nit Wit

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about sanding up, but my 14' leaves plenty of room to walk a circle around the fire. Perfect size for 2 with wood pile inside to the right and the ice chest to the left. Always enter circling to the left, clockwise......

That being said. I always use the liner. It helps much with the draft. But it is only 4' tall. I'm 5'8" so my head is in the smoke if I stand....depending on the flaps and the draft.
If the Ozan is in place, game over. It's the same height as the walls. so Low ceiling except right around the fire. But is a definite need in winter. 20º Fweather

Dale Lilly

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I can stand up [12 footer] without being in the fire. It takes only a very small fire to heat a properly set up tipi. Polecat

nit wit

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't stand in the fire, but I was in the smoke a lot in a 12'.
Nit Wit

Komox

32 Cal
Reaction score
In my large 18' tipi from RK Lodges I was always wondering what size for two was best . I was in a 16' for a couple nights and liked it . From the responses 12 - 14' seems to be the agreed upon size for a smaller but still usable size. 12' for solo and 14' for 2

In the pre-horse days tipis were small as evidenced by the stone tipi rings I found on the top of coulee banks , only around 10 ft diam , dogs were used to pull the poles . I doubt any liner was used back then . So the cover was as much a windbreak as anything , fires were small and no doubt smoky if wood was damp

Is there much difference in a Crow tipi compared to the more available Sioux type ?

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In my large 18' tipi from RK Lodges I was always wondering what size for two was best . I was in a 16' for a couple nights and liked it . From the responses 12 - 14' seems to be the agreed upon size for a smaller but still usable size. 12' for solo and 14' for 2

In the pre-horse days tipis were small as evidenced by the stone tipi rings I found on the top of coulee banks , only around 10 ft diam , dogs were used to pull the poles . I doubt any liner was used back then . So the cover was as much a windbreak as anything , fires were small and no doubt smoky if wood was damp

Is there much difference in a Crow tipi compared to the more available Sioux type ?
Crow is set slimmer on a quad instead of tripod. Blackfoot and crow similar with smaller smoke flaps on the black foot and larger on the crow, not as big as chyanne and Sioux.

beardedhorse

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've owned 6 tipis - all 18 footers from variety of makers. Lived in a bunch full time for 12 and 1/2 years. First 3 yrs ground fires and then added wood stove to be kinder to lungs. Withstood 100 mph chinook winds and 20 below zero temperatures. Had bear, squirrels, skunks and mice as "guests" in the lodge. Would still be in them but having to move. Last 9 years in wall tents. Still have preference for tipis. Never had any blow over or get damaged from snow load in Colorado. Rendezvoused and hunted out of tipis many years prior to living full time in mine. Have had friends make elk hide and bison hide tipis. Very heavy and very expensive unless you make them yourself from scratch.