• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tee pee rings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North west of Walden Colorado about 8 or 10 miles.
40.88959* N
106.42997* W
This should get you with in feet of them.

Last edited:
Normally Phil one can look at how the rocks set in the soil. If they look like someone just set the stones there recently, then someone probably did. If the stone is sunken into the earth then they could be ancient. I seen what's in the picture near Laramie Wyoming. The rancher told me they were there at least 80 years. This probably doesn't help much.

Normally Phil one can look at how the rocks set in the soil. If they look like someone just set the stones there recently, then someone probably did. If the stone is sunken into the earth then they could be ancient. I seen what's in the picture near Laramie Wyoming. The rancher told me they were there at least 80 years. This probably doesn't help much.

This is a historically protected site, hence the fence you see in the picture. Those rings have been there since before I was 7yrs old, Almost 57yr now. It is a really great place to visit.

I haven’t seen any near Laramie, these have been studied and the last time they were used would have been around 1880 when the Indians were removed from this area. North Park was called the Bull Pin by the mountain men due to the abundance of Buffalo that wintered there. The fellow that told me about them first saw them in 1967.

I haven’t seen any near Laramie, these have been studied and the last time they were used would have been around 1880 when the Indians were removed from this area. North Park was called the Bull Pin by the mountain men due to the abundance of Buffalo that wintered there. The fellow that told me about them first saw them in 1967.
I bet they are real. To clarify, the ones I seen were on Big Sheep mountain ranch west of Laramie. The ones I seen looked just like what is in your picture. Great find you made. Imagine the stories it could tell. Thanks for posting

1651940684419.png
1651940684419.png

The above picture is in N Dakota, if you look at the trail from the Knife River Indian village, at the loop is several tipi or lodge circles.

Use google maps and look it up, just north of Stanton, they are intersting circles in the ground, from who knows how long ago.

Ive seen dozens of them in my neighborhood, it was a popular wintering ground. Good water and grass, buffalo, not much snow for the most part.

Used to be fairly common. Some have been archaeologically excavated - usually not much in the way of artifacts because often short term use by nomadic people. Hearths inside some.
As Phil Coffin said, rocks held down edges, even when there were stakes, and some, espec prehistoric ones, seem to have used rocks in preference to stakes.
Scholarly article with lots of historic tipi photos to consider the tipi ring question:
Banks, K.M. and J.S. Snortland 1995 Every Picture Tells a Story: Historic Images, Tipi Camps, and Archaeology. Plains Anthropologist 40(152):125-144.

Back