• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teach me about overpowder wads/cards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys. My wife is asking about Christmas presents so that renewed my interest in finding a conical bullet to shoot out of my GPR. I posted a thread 2 years ago about it and never got around to buying some molds!

I understand the rifling isn't designed for conicals so I might just be wasting time and money but what the heck. I'm going to get the REAL mold in 300 grains. Sounds like it might stabilize better since it's shorter than the 380.

I need to get some overpowder wads also but don't know the first thing about them. There are overpowder wads and cards? Most guys use wads, some use cards. My research has shown that wads are more than likely what I need to help seal the bore below the bullet. I will be getting 54 Cal size but do they only come in one thickness? Seems like most people use lubricated wads. If those sat on a powder charge for a week would the lube make the powder wet? Ox-yoke lubricated wads seems to be the most popular one guys use. I'm sure I'm over thinking this but just wanna make sure I get the right ones! Thanks guys!

I use these with my GPR, they shrink my roundball groups significantly.

Attachments

• 20190711_213355.jpg
    20190711_213355.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks fishnrod! You asked 2 years ago if I ever found a mold, answer is no obviously lol. Hoping to get it figured out this spring!

You really don't need the bullet with the setup you have. That .530 roundball from your GPR will kill anything in the state. I have the same rifle, and shoot a slightly hardened roundball to assure an exit hole on elk.

Being stingy, and having several calibers I wanted wads for, I make my own. A scrap of Durafelt is soaked in 50/50 Beeswax and Crisco and wads punched out with a set of Harbor Freight punches. Slightly big wads don’t seem to be any problem. I have used them under Lee REAL bullets in T/C rifles, and under snug fitting balls in a smooth bore. All work well.

I do the same as @Timber Wolf. I’ve even used wool felt from Hobby Lobby. Same lube mix. The HF punch kits do quite well and are cheap. I put them in my drill press and sharpen the edge with a diamond file before using. Take a piece of scrap wood and staple the ends of your felt to it. Keeps the felt in n place while you make your cut outs with either a hand drill or drill press.

For many years I have recommended over size wads. For the 45 I use 50 cal. For the 50's I use .620 I lightly lube them.

I also use a felt wad of .11" thick greased (mutton tallow and beeswax) too for the relatively short distance between the powder and the bullet, and a fireproof cardboard washer for the 500-grains compressive bullets for long distances...

Last edited:
Back