• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC vs L&R rpl lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Original T/C lock with a lyman Frizzen. Works very well. Will use it till its worn out and then part out whats usable. Late Model Cabelas Hawkins locks can also be used in a T/C stock with a minimal amount of work

I wrapped sandpaper around various files to get in the nooks, I sanded to 220 then went over the metal with a scotch bright pad, It probably took me all day to polish the metal. I used cold blue to darken the metal and sanded it back to gray.

I would plug with carbon steel to keep the plug invisible. Counter sink the outside ever so slightly, cut off your plug 1/16" high and peen the extra into the countersink then file it smooth. Be sure you don't run the plug into the barrel.

The plug should look like this after peening and filing smooth. the plugged hole is to left of the bolster screw.

lockbolt bad hole filed smooth.JPG

Last edited:
On your lock picture it appears the hammer stop is hitting the edge of the lock plate and upsetting the metal. That was the major flaw on my lock, the hammer stop barely hit the corner of the lock plate. I sent the lock back to have them grind the square place back some on the tumbler so the hammer would sit closer to the lock plate and the hammer stop would hit the top of the lock plate firmly. They sent the lock back in worse shape than when I sent it off but that is another story.

I noticed the same exact thing. I got it at little further on with some gentle filing. As it came from the factory it was barely touching.

I got her finished up today...nowhere near the level of finishing you did....but hopefully will be a reliable hunter.

My bit wandered a tiny bit so my position of the touch hole came back a tiny bit...but overall a lot better. Pan covers up the hole now.

My little usb bore scope tool was invaluable for plugging, drilling and tapping new touch. Could see exactly what was going on inside.

B1454A76-E950-4757-9948-C55695994177.jpeg

9965D5F4-5A21-4281-891F-75C785F06D7F.jpeg

C7BDE033-CA45-4BF1-A088-0EFE19781D0F.jpeg

Quick question....someone in this thread mentioned the TC upgraded hammers are still available? I've searched high and low on the net and haven't turned anything up.

I've got a .54 TC renegade that I use (handed down from Dad who bought it in the 70s). Right now I've added extra leather under the flint to raise it up and got decent results, but would be interested in a taller hammer if they are available.

58 Caliber...thanks for the lead. Gunworks had the hammer. Ordered up just now. Also had a screw as well...I broke mine a few years back and was using a cobbled replacement...Hopefully I'll have things in order for late season in PA.

Thanks!

Back