• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Seneca with bad bore. Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a cherokee with bad bore. I found out the hard way that since they are button rifled refreshing does not work. I broke two cutters before I gave up and got a liner from track of the wolf and relined it. I would suggest you reline it!

I rescued a similar Senica. I got a Green Mountain 40 cal barrel. I made a patent breech plug from scratch. I then installed a proper rib with proper thimbles. I installed period correct sights. IN the end I had a ton of work into it. Bobby Hoyt could have relined it for less money.

Surprised no one else has mentioned it yet, but what about having a good smith bore it out smooth? Should be more than enough meat on that barrel to work with. If you’re interested in smoothbores, that could be a fun little gun.

Nothing wrong with a relined barrel by a qualified smith or having it reamed out to either a smoothbore or re-rifled by Mr.Hoyt (I think Mr. Hoyt still re-rifles).

You've got a Seneca and externally it looks nice. Don't know about the others here, but it's close to a Grail Gun for me. Sounds like it's only going to cost you $200. So, in my book, you did good.

If the refund comes through, have it relined. I'd go with 36 and use whatever twist rate TC used. Then shoot the heck out of it with 20 gr loads and PRB. I have a 36 Seneca and it's the perfect small game and target rifle. Fun, cheap to shoot and danged accurate. Keep the loads light and it'll shoot all day without swabbing.

Don't try to make it into something it's not...a deer rifle. It's too delicate for that, yet with some care it'll last a lifetime and more. Bob Hoyt's barrels shoot; if they don't he'll make them shoot.

When all is said and done, you won't have gone much past the $400 you originally paid for the rifle.

How I feel. It was not as presented. Send it back for refund. Anything else would be on YOU then your fault.

$400 and bad bore you got taken for a ride, no excuses any more money into that pig is not worth it at the price you paid.

Shoot it first. Black powder bores are surprisingly forgiving with rust damage. Then clean it. If the rifle shoots well then cleans without snagging patches then use it. Wear from shooting will smooth some of the damage.

I have a Cherokee with same issues. been looking for a decent priced Seneca for years and yet to find one.

Hey guys here is a cheap insurance policy when looking at muzzle loaders. Carry a AAA battery, flashlight, drop it down the bore and shine the light on it. I came up with this idea many many years ago.
Nit Wit

If you have not resolved this, I would not recommend changing the bore, larger or smaller. The handling characteristics of a Seneca are just fine with a .45 cal. bore. You would probably get unpleasant recoil with a .50 if it is even safe to go that route. Smaller caliber will make it muzzle heavy, at least IMHO. Personally, I would call Hoyt or rebarrel with a good quality barrel.

Hey guys here is a cheap insurance policy when looking at muzzle loaders. Carry a AAA battery, flashlight, drop it down the bore and shine the light on it. I came up with this idea many many years ago.
Nit Wit
Auto Zone sells a flashlight that is only about .22 cal. in diameter. It is very bright and has a hole on the end for string. You can drop is down the bore. I have one and like it.

Did you try to shoot this barrel? If not, I would first try to clean it and then see how it shoots. I've seen some sewer pipes that group pretty well. You can always have it re-bored/re-lined later, but cleaning is a pretty cheap repair. I have a .45 T/C Hawken that had a pretty rough bore when IO got it. I spent a week or so cleaning it... along with some other repairs, but it's kinda my favorite gun now.

Latest posts

Back