• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Seneca .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozz

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I happened into a little Seneca in .36, unfired. It's a nifty little rifle. I'm looking for options to feed it. I believe it has a 1/48 twist. What is the normal projectile diameter, .375"? Anyone have any pet loads? Thanks!

No, unlike 36 cal pistols the Seneca is actually 36 caliber. Roundballs would be .350 plus patch. Look around and you should be able to find some 36 maxi-balls or similar projectiles.

Sorry, don’t have any loads for ya.

No, unlike 36 cal pistols the Seneca is actually 36 caliber. Roundballs would be .350 plus patch. Look around and you should be able to find some 36 maxi-balls or similar projectiles.
Very interesting. Would .358 or .356 diameter cast for .38 special or 9mm work?

A buddy of mine has the same rifle, he said that his Seneca wouldn't shoot any type of conical worth a damn, but a .350 RB with a .015 patch and 30gr of 3f Goex is deadly accurate (in his rifle), someone else's may like a different load, but it's a .36 and using 3f, you don't need much powder to get that RB moving. He uses it for rabbits and has taken a coyote or two.

Very interesting. Would .358 or .356 diameter cast for .38 special or 9mm work?
I have used .358 soft lead hollow base wadcutters in mine, accuracy was one ragged hole at 25yd. But its a pretty loose fit, allowing the possibility of the projectile creeping forward throughout the day...therefore,I stick with roundball or .36 Tc maxiball.

Last edited:
If you want to go to that much effort just to be different you could try paper-patching. That would require sizing the bullets down to .350 or under, paper-patch them, then run them through another sizer. Personally, l’d buy some maxi-balls or maybe you could find some Buffalo Bullets ‘balletts’ in 36 cal.

My outstanding MATCH load is 30.0 grs. Swiss 3F, .350 ball, .015 patch lubed with Shenandoah Valley lubricant, CCI cap.

Like Longrifle said "350 RB with a .015 lubed patch and 30gr of 3f Goex" I use this in my Seneca and it's consistent at 40 yards.

My .36, though not a Seneca, really likes 30 grns of 3F, a .350" ball and a .024" canvas patch lubed with either Hoppes BP Lube or mink oil. But I have noticed that 20 grains of 3F shoots just as well and conserves powder.

Hornady also sells .350 diameter 000 buckshot in five-pound boxes. The last box I bought a couple of years ago was under $30 and well worth it. These round balls have no flat spot from a sprue and are very convenient to use. Casting small-caliber balls is a bit tedious and this box of buckshot is really handy. You may experiment with different projectiles and patches in your rifle, but you are likely to find that round balls shoot best.

Back