• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it down. I have one from a pawn shop; I dove tailed a walnut block at the butt to extend the trigger pull and took a belt sander to the comb so my cheek bone doesn't get hammered.

Before the wood work I cut a dovetail for a primitive rear sight. Of coarse that lowered the line of sight.

Good luck, have fun.

I agree. these aren't any kind of rare or exotic, and the geometry is problematic for some. it's your gun, so make it fit you (and not some theoretical person on some drafting board somewhere)... a little wood removal, a little refinishing , and two things will happen: you'll have some bonding time with your rifle, and you'll have a rifle which fits and is fun to shoot.

good luck with your project, and

Make Good Smoke!

Although the pictured TC Hawken isn't the rifle you have, the problem of a high comb and a very bulbous cheekpiece was the same. This rifle was a bad "cheek slapper" which was uncomfortable to many shooters.

A rasp took down the comb and the Bplate return was filed down. This was done in conjunction w/ removing a lot of wood from the bulbous cheekpiece.

The result is a rifle that now is a favorite gun on many elk hunts w/ big loads.....it kicks some but isn't felt in the least on the cheek....Fred

my problem with the Renegade stock design is more to the length-of-pull than the comb-slap. if I'm not careful how I place my hand I'll bust myself in the nose with my own thumb. a slip-on recoil pad helps there.

but, for jobs like the OP mentions, I have a piece of wood cut to fit snugly inside a belt sander belt. works as good or better than a rasp, easier to control than a belt sander, makes it easier to keep lines straight, and covers more territory faster than a rasp. and the belts last pretty much forever.

The definition of a belt sander: "A tool used to turn a five minute touch up into a complete rebuild!" :hmm: :hmm:

If you had read my post, the question you posed, is unnecessary. I MANUALLY modified the stock to eliminate the painful "cheekslapping" caused by the factory stock.

Although the TC Hawken was popular, it's apparent that very little research by Thompson/Center asre what fits the general public was done. The high comb and bulbous cheekpiece were "mistakes" except if the intended rifle was meant for using a 'scope....which is very unlikely w/ a MLer.

A neighbor bought a Cabela's Hawken and the same faults present w/ the TC Hawken cursed this rifle. After suffering w/ a very sore cheek, he brought it over and the same modifications that were done w/ the TC Hawken, were done w/ the Cabela's. He was amazed how comfortable his Cabela's Hawken shot after the changed butt stock......Fred

If it was me I would put on a slip on recoil pad and see if a longer length of pull helps.
I have done this on shotguns that I shoot Trap with and it eliminated cheek slap.
Most people can use a longer length of pull. A recoil pad would with recoil as well.

If you had read my post, the question you posed, is unnecessary. I MANUALLY modified the stock to eliminate the painful "cheekslapping" caused by the factory stock.

Although the TC Hawken was popular, it's apparent that very little research by Thompson/Center asre what fits the general public was done. The high comb and bulbous cheekpiece were "mistakes" except if the intended rifle was meant for using a 'scope....which is very unlikely w/ a MLer.

A neighbor bought a Cabela's Hawken and the same faults present w/ the TC Hawken cursed this rifle. After suffering w/ a very sore cheek, he brought it over and the same modifications that were done w/ the TC Hawken, were done w/ the Cabela's. He was amazed how comfortable his Cabela's Hawken shot after the changed butt stock......Fred
I don’t know why but they fit me really well. I’m tall-ish at 6’2” and have freakishly long (38” sleeves) arms. A friend of mine who’s built nearly identical to me with slightly shorter arms has had to remove a bunch of wood from his renegade and on more than one occasion has had a knot on his cheek bone.

This boils down to the difference between the American style of shooting versus the British style.

Our way was developed resultant on the 45 degree position we use toward the target. Our earlier rifles had a deeper curve in the buttstock ... Allowing them to snuggle ON TO the arm upper area. NOT into the pocket of the shoulder as the British stocks do.

These rifles using the straight 90 degree stance required the comb height to be higher and can be learned to shoot comfortably by stancing in such a way that seems all wrong to me and many of us.

Here is the proof in the puddin. Heft a 63 Springfield in the normal way ... Now lay down that AMERICAN rifle and heft the 63 Enfield in the same way.

Now turn so you face directly toward your target and try that Enfield again.

Notice that your cheek is now way further back on the comb. Also as being so far back, you also are lowered enough to use the sights.

Having said that I should say that I have always carved down the cheek slappin stocks ( yep my Enfield also ) as I refuse to abandon the lessons that have been handed down thru the years to me.

Carve em down Friend. Make it your rifle.

Fred gave me some great advice on TC stock shaping, I followed his lead and made my TC Hawken kit a different animal.

hawken cheek piece 001.JPG

TC cheek side.JPG

Back