• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade Shotgun Barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased a TC Renegade from a gentleman on here. I find it to be a very handy rifle to carry around. It is a flintlock 50 cal model. After messing with the lock and correcting the cock to spark better, I got to thinking.

It would be very cool to be able to swap barrels out on this thing to have some more capabilities with the same handy platform. I know some of these guns years ago had different barrels to install on them. After looking on the internet, pretty much nothing.

My idea is to make a 20 or 16 Gauge smoothbore barrel and eventually maybe a small bore rifled barrel for the platform, but could expand to other models like the Lyman Deerstalker or similar models. I have inspected the breech plugs and they are not out of my capabilities to make a quality (if not higher quality) replacement. The smoothbore barrels would be 4140 alloy certified steel and I would need to do some testing to see if I could get away with going to 12 gauge. I am sure I could but obviously want it to be safe!

I just wanted to see if there is any interest in replaceable barrels or any other replacement parts that are hard to find. Thanks for reading!

Never got around to shooting them but, I’ve owned two Renegade barrels that were punched out to 20ga and at one time a Spanish company, Toledo Arms, made 12ga barrels for them. So don’t know how much interest would be in them but guess it is possible.

Never got around to shooting them but, I’ve owned two Renegade barrels that were punched out to 20ga and at one time a Spanish company, Toledo Arms, made 12ga barrels for them. So don’t know how much interest would be in them but guess it is possible.
I am going to make one for mine. Just figured if I was tooled up I would make more if people wanted.

Gonna be a lot of work millin’ that 4140 to octagon ain’t it?

Drilling the hole is the most time consuming. I built a cutter here awhile back for an electric motor shop to bore out rotors for large electric motors. Needed to bore a 2 1/2" hole 54" deep in 1045 carbon steel. Got it done in 4 hours with my cutter and was taking them over 12 hours with a spade drill!

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_132825895.jpg
    IMG_20220817_132825895.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, but I'm talkin' about the time & effort to mill the 4140 from round to octagon. With that much work involved, looks to me like you'd have to price it over what most would be willing to pay, even if it is custom work. Believe I'd either look for already octagon barrel blanks or maybe switch the project to the New Englander which already has a round barrel. Just my $.02

Yeah I hear you. I could do the octagon milling in my CNC mill. It isn't a very large machine so to do a 30" barrel I would have to do it in two sections. If I could mill two sides in one set up then it really wouldn't be too bad. I could even cut a "swamped" contour if I wanted. Wouldn't have much room for that with a 12 gauge though! lol

I don't know if there would be any octagon bar stock available unless you ordered a huge amount. That would probably drive the price up more than my cheap labor! :D

The best way that I have learned to make a true bore is to gun drill, then contour, stress relieve, finish ream, and lap. That process also aligns the bore to the outer contour which surprisingly is not done by quite a few cheaper barrel manufacturers. Everything takes time but it is way faster than hammer welding wrought steel together!

Back