• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade custom barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert reed

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a Renegade for cheap several years ago. Barrel turned out to be bad, lock has some issues, stock is a beautiful piece of walnut that I cannot stop thinking needs to be brought back to life. Has any one had experience with having a barrel made for Renegade and by whom. I would love a .58. Thanks all.

There is a guy, often mentioned on this forum, that re-bores BP barrels. I think his name is Bobby Hoyt, but I'll let someone else chime in. It sounds like a perfect candidate for a 58. And you can get the twist best suited for you. I don't know if there any GM barrels around, but that would also be a good choice.

Stonewall Creek oufitters has drop in barrels for T/C, CVA & Traditions up to 58 cal,don't know the price you have to call for that.If you get pricng please post & twist info.

And yes Roby Hoyt is great for ML barrel work,he did a reline for my 58 cal ,great job,can't find his contact info right now.

yes! Bobby Hoyt is a great fellow - easy to talk to, understands what you want and need, and he does great work at really good prices. but here's the bad news: he is hard to reach (he doesn't have a website, and if you try to call him, you might or might not get through because he's in his shop and he's busy working, which he does a lot because his work is very good and much in demand.

I had him ream out a beat up barrel which I bought on flea bay. The seller readily admitted the rifling was pretty much trash, but since I was going to bore it to 20 gauge, that wasn't a problem.

Here's some contact info:

Mr. Robert Hoyt
700 Fairfield Station Road
Fairfield, PA 17320

1 (717) 642-6696

his work is (in my opinion) well worth the wait.

good luck with your project!

If it were mine, I'd box it up and ship it to Bob Hoyt with a note that explained what I wanted and let him get to it when he can. I'm told he will do the work and send it back to you with the invoice for the work done in the box.

If you go with a "new" barrel, as mentioned Stonewall Creek and The Gun Works (Oregon Barrel) will make a "drop in" (kinda/sorta).

The barrels are not blued or browned and do not include the sights (move them from your existing barrel or buy new ones), but are breeched and dovetails are cut etc.

Stonewall will typically build with a Colerain barrel (easiest to source) unless they have something else in stock that meets the requirements.

The Gun Works builds a "custom" barrel - you pick the caliber, twist and rifling depth - they include the thimbles and underlug (for the key), breech plug (installed) and nipple.

At last inquiry both were charging $350 plus shipping (plus tax if applicable).

So not cheap when you consider that is often the value of the whole gun once it's back together...

If you can rebore/re-rifle that will always be the more economical method.

4th vote for Mr. Hoyt and a rebore.
The 1" Renegade barrel has plenty of room for a 58 slow twist rifled bore.
It'll cost way less then $350,,

I see where Tip Curtis is selling drop in barrels for TC's at $275. Might find one on e-bay. but 58's are rare.

Recently used Mr. Hoyt to re-bore and breech a 50cal Renegade capper sewer pipe to a 58cal flint (I provided the breach plug). About 8 weeks (Sept 1st to Nov 1st). Partial radius rifling, 1 in 60 twist. Won't put it to a real test until after the first of the year, but looks good.

Bobby is difficult to get hold of, a one man show, however he is an honest man who does good work.

Without doubt he will continue to get my business.

I customized a renegade and bought my barrel from Colerain. It is a 1" 58cal. What I hated about it was the drop. that gun only had 2 1/2" of drop and kicked in the cheek so I bent it to 3 1/2" and 3/8" cast off. Now it shoots great and the wood is real nice.

hmmm ... cast off ... I'm OK with the drop on my T/C, but a bit of cast off would be kind of nice ... how did you do the modification?

Thanks!

p.s. didn't mean to hijack the thread... :slap:

Latest posts

Back