• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade Cock Geometry Adjustment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to be repeating things here but I can't stress enough specify new style. Rather than order on line , call and talk to them directly . If you do place an on line order, email them also to be sure you receive a new style frizzen. When I ordered my new style cocks I received one new style and one old style. I returned the old style along with pictures of both so they could see the difference. They were very good about the return. I just don't believe they realized.
Take Care,
Ed

qDTPHvZ.jpg

This is an interesting topic. Can you please describe how you heated and bent the cock to get it to the right angle?
I heated it up with an acetylene cutting torch. I then tapped it with a hammer using a piece of hex stock and a piece of round in a vise. I stretched it out to look pretty much as close to what @TerryK posted above. It made it better but it still isn't perfect. The new frizzen and cock both would be better and better yet would be to replace the whole lock with a better one! The latter is my plan when I get back on that project!

Thanks Dylan. That's what I thought you did. I've had several T/C flintlocks over the years and for whatever reason I would sell or trade them off. All except for this one lock. It has been with me since about the mid '80s. It is the fastest T/C lock I've ever owned and usually always goes on my latest "hunting" flinter. How I made it so fast was that I took the T/C coil spring out and installed a Lyman coil spring which is just a tad longer. It's a real bear putting it in but is a big improvement in lock time. It currently resides on my .58 Renegade with a GM 1:60 twist (?).

Judging by your pictures, the flint appears to be a bit on the short size. That would cause the flint to strike lower on the frizzen. All of my flintlocks work best with the flint almost touching the frizzen. The flint will strike the frizzen at a higher point, producing more sparks, as long as the frizzen is of the correct hardness.
I use English flint and not the sawn flints. English flints can be found in different lengths and widths.

Back