• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvinator

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy, haven't posted here for some time but always lurking. A recent hunting land purchase by the family has re-kindled my muzzle loading interest.
Iv'e had this TC Renegade for a long time but have never REALLY been happy with it, not from a shooting stand point but more from the "authentic" side.
It shoots great but Iv'e always longed for a more authentic "Hawken" type ML.
Something like a Santa Fe Hawken would be fine, IF I could find a nice one.
I'd consider building one to my liking but not sure where or even if the necessary components can be sourced reasonably these days.
Considering posting it up for trade/sale unless it's economically feasible build something from the Renegade into what I'm after...which seems unlikely.
I also have a 32" Green Mountain drop in barrel for it in 50 cal with round ball twist.

Last edited:
If you look around you should be able to find a TC Hawken stock that those Renegade barrels with drop into. Stock has to have ordinally been for a .54 or larger caliber on the Hawken for it to work. May not be period correct but may be close enough depending on your fancy.

There's one on EBAY as a buy now. Everything less the lock but the Hawken and Renegade used the same lock if memory serves. There are also new old stock locks a couple pages in.

Last edited:
unless it's economically feasible build something from the Renegade into what I'm after,,,,
So, what are you after? What do you want?
The un-used Gm drop in is no slouch,, but I prefer the .54
What ever you choose will need some significant and dedicated time involved for not only load development but to become comfortable with use,
But the point lies,, What do you want?

The Renegade (and all of the production rifles) is what it is. The things you can change on it are very limited. It will never be significantly more authentic. It’s perfectly period correct to the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

There's a good market for your Renegade especially with two barrels. There were many rifle forms to be found on the plains. Studying the period and the firearms is a good place to start. Pick one and go with.

If you're looking for something more "authentic", you'll need to decide what type of rifle you're interested in. To me, the Renegade is a modern representation of the Jaeger style rifles of yesteryear - stoutly built, short-barreled, heavy caliber rifles intended for big game hunting. Sounds like a Renegade to me. To my mind, the Renegade was never meant to be a "no-frills" Hawken, but a rifle more akin to a later model Jaegers. PC? No, no more than T/C's imitation of the Hawken rifle, which could only, generously, be called "close" IMO.

@centershot Nails it.

1678227792576.png

1678227862509.png

Howdy, haven't posted here for some time but always lurking. A recent hunting land purchase by the family has re-kindled my muzzle loading interest.
Iv'e had this TC Renegade for a long time but have never REALLY been happy with it, not from a shooting stand point but more from the "authentic" side.
It shoots great but Iv'e always longed for a more authentic "Hawken" type ML.
Something like a Santa Fe Hawken would be fine, IF I could find a nice one.
I'd consider building one to my liking but not sure where or even if the necessary components can be sourced reasonably these days.
Considering posting it up for trade/sale unless it's economically feasible build something from the Renegade into what I'm after...which seems unlikely.
I also have a 32" Green Mountain drop in barrel for it in 50 cal with round ball twist.
Dead Deer are authentic....

Things I want that the (my) Renegade lacks...
Maple stock, double wedges, metal end cap, metal ramrod entry pipe, long tang with screw through wrist to trigger plate.
Proper trigger guard, sights, but plate, ect.
hawkenrepos.jpg

All but the patch box and flint lock on the bottom rifle.
And 54 cal, or 58.

If you're looking for something more "authentic", you'll need to decide what type of rifle you're interested in. To me, the Renegade is a modern representation of the Jaeger style rifles of yesteryear - stoutly built, short-barreled, heavy caliber rifles intended for big game hunting. Sounds like a Renegade to me. To my mind, the Renegade was never meant to be a "no-frills" Hawken, but a rifle more akin to a later model Jaegers. PC? No, no more than T/C's imitation of the Hawken rifle, which could only, generously, be called "close" IMO.
I'm curious. I hear a lot of people say that TC Hawken rifles are not 'correct' as Hawken rifles. Could you explain why you feel it is not "close"? Thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, what is that top rifle? Almost looks like a TC Hawken?

J. ZETTLER NEW YORK HALF STOCK PERCUSSION RIFLE.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...half-stock-percussion-rifle-3538-c-74c4b5982b
It appears to incorporate some of those features into what this maker was known for..schuetzen

Looks like a standard Renegade with a curved buttplate. to me.

"ZETTLER, JOHN, New York, New York, 1847-185? . Percussion and breechloading schuetzen rifles."

Last edited:
Back