• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Patriot .45 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

40 Cal
Reaction score
TC Patriot .45 Cal Accuracy test, This thing FLAT OUT Shoots

L00ASn5.jpg

Target is exactly 30 Yards with my Leica Rangefinder

Y9Bv3k2.jpg

3 Shot Group, WICKED ACCURATE for a Pistol, I have never considered myself great with a Pistol, But i can definitely shoot this one. The front sight is helping me a BUNCH, it is very similiar to my Globe front sights on my Rifles

jk011Lu.jpg

Right at 950 Fps, Not bad for a measly 25 Grains of Powder and 8” inches of usable barrel Length

l1WMLrJ.jpg

Patches look AWESOME

iXWdT94.jpg

Trying to find these patches is no easy task, they really blend in with this Ground

fVT7VuI.jpg

I also did a Penetration Test in a Block of Firewood, I wouldn’t want hit with one of these :oops:

hyEUWkA.jpg

rknvfdY.jpg

I've owned and played with several of those over the years, and they always worked just fine. The only problem I have ever seen with them is a problem with the stocks cracking. For some reason they are prone to crack from the lock area back. I've repaired a couple for friends, and they continued to do well. I would think loading one in one of the loading stands where you are virtually putting pressure on the upper portion of the grip area by pounding on the barrel area would cause you problems. Treat them right, and they will treat you right !!

Idaholewis, I have two of those rascals in .45 cal. I think they are absolutely great ! I’ve seen and heard about the stocks cracking also. I load mine holding it in my hand. I don’t let the stock come into contact with any hard surface during the loading process. I also don’t over tighten the lock bolt, just snug it up. So far I have been very fortunate. Those pistols perform flawlessly. I have not a single complaint about them. Of all my shooters, my daughter took to the Patriot like a fish to water. Tack drivers ! :thumb: :cool:

Never benched mine, should do that sometime. The only complaint I have is the grip is too smooth and hard to hold. I wrapped it in leather and lacing, it helps.

My ex wife’s brother put non-slip tread tape on his.

Thanks for that great post. Excellent views of how effective these single shot percussion pistols can be. My Traditions Trapper and Crockett pistols generally shoot better than I can.

Jeff
I bought a flintlock Trapper as my first muzzle loader (hence, the screen name), and I wasn't sure how well it would shoot. I was thoroughly impressed with it after a few shots. Right now, I'm just getting used to the unconventional geometry and balance so I can improve my accuracy with it. I shoot modern handguns very well, so I know the Trapper will do its part when I manage to do mine the way I do with modern handguns. Another member here told me how to dry fire it, so I'll be doing some work that way before my next trip out with it.

I run 40 grains of fffg behind a .490" ball and .015" patch. The recoil is surprisingly tame with that loading, and given that the loading is toward the upper end of the suggested max powder volume, I imagine that it's about what someone would have loaded for self defense or hunting back in the day. If it can pack what seems to be a very functional punch while still having a very manageable recoil as it does, it truly is a nice design for a pistol.

The cluster below the bullseye in the photo is where I actually managed to do my part properly at 12yds over the course of 13 shots, shooting from an icoseles stance. Four rounds went into that cluster. I'm feeling good enough to push it out to 15 or 20 yards my next trip out, in fact.
0911211217a~2.jpg

Thank you everyone for the Kind words, These TC Patriot Target Pistols are a LOT of fun 👍 The set trigger took me a little bit of getting use to since they are Backwards to a Rifle. I rarely shoot a Pistol, This Patriot has changed me on that

Thank you everyone for the Kind words, These TC Patriot Target Pistols are a LOT of fun 👍 The set trigger took me a little bit of getting use to since they are Backwards to a Rifle. I rarely shoot a Pistol, This Patriot has changed me on that
It's a good looking pistol, too. I didn't notice it at first because I was looking more at your log penetration picture, but that TC looks an awful lot like the Traditions Trapper. There are differences, of course, but the general theme is similar. It makes me wonder if there is a specific historical design underpinning both pistols' appearance. They both even have the double set triggers, a great feature I've enjoyed, too.
0731212219~2.jpg

My patriot stock was cracked and carefully repaired before I bought it. I use a custom made loading block and haven’t had any problems. It is also possible that the repaired fracture is stronger than the original

Slightly off topic, at one time I owned a Cherokee rifle in 45 caliber had bought it for $225 in the late 80’s . When I picked up the Patriot at a LGS a few years ago it reminded me of the Cherokee, the two would make a nice wall display. Even could I find one not sure I’d want to pay the monies these days.

Those 36's are hard to find. Picked one up about six months ago but paid a premium to get it
I made a 36 out of a Rice barrel drop of 10" from a Seneca project , a breech plug from TOTW and parts and pieces. Contrary to all naysayers, the rifle barrel is very accurate. I will post pics tomorrow

It's a good looking pistol, too. I didn't notice it at first because I was looking more at your log penetration picture, but that TC looks an awful lot like the Traditions Trapper. There are differences, of course, but the general theme is similar. It makes me wonder if there is a specific historical design underpinning both pistols' appearance. They both even have the double set triggers, a great feature I've enjoyed, too.View attachment 94454

There are original period handguns with a similar profile, in particular the saw handle grip shape. Some were clearly target guns with highly visible sights, others had smaller sights more suited to a carry piece. I have seen the occasional set advertised as "duelers" though they may simply have been a nice set of "gentlemans" pistols intended for general useage. I can't recall if any I've seen in collections had the double set triggers but one I got to hold at a collector show some years ago had a single set trigger that pushed forward to set (according to the owner, I wasn't about to test it myself).

Back