• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC nipple replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a TC cherokee 45 cal carbine. Scouts love it with the light weight, 25 grain 3f roundball load offhand. Over a 1000 shots with this nipple. Now I realize it is a light bp charge, but here is the question, gunshop I frequent has different height replacement 1/4 ×28 nipples. Currently my Cherokee has a "short" nipple.

Is there a benefit or issue with using a "taller" 1/4×28 nipple as long as threads match up?

If the gun is currently working fine, I see no benefit to a longer nipple and several possible negatives. A longer nipple will change the geometry at the point the hammer hits the nipple. It may cause the hammer to hit the cap at a slight angle rather than flat on. It will also give less room between the hammer and nipple at half cock. That may not make much difference but it will happen. I would stick with the current nipple length if it is factory length.

If it is a Thompson Center Hot Shot Nipple there will be no problem using it. Allows more spark to be thrown into the flash channel to reach the powder. It was created to be use on caplocks with Pyrodex to insure ignition, since Pyrodex has a higher temprature flash point. If you are using real Black Powder do you need it no, does it hurt anything using it no. DANNY

I got the impression that TC's shorter nipple was inspired by their attorney. It's better enclosed by the cup of the hammer and less likely to let cap fragments fly free.

Don't know if it's a so, just speculation on my part.

Probably the more important measurement is the length of the threads compared to the depth of the threads in the drum or bolster.

flint leather said:
Be careful on your replacement, the Cherokee takes a 12-28 nipple. I have the same gun and bought my replacement nipple from Track of Wolf. Flintleather
And THAT is the proper answer!! :thumbsup:
The Seneca, Cherokee rifle and the Patriot pistol use a 12x28 nipple NOT a 1/4x28

Well that is why I come here. :bow: I did not know or would have even suspected that Thompson Center would have used 2 different thread variations for nipples on their caplock rifles. DANNY

Thanks all. Did not think of hammer angle, off center hits, angle hits that ruin the nipple let alone height that is gone on half cock.

I don't think the nipple is wore out with just 20 grain loads even after 1000 shots but never know.

Thanks all and as said, I learn something every day on here.

Well guys, can tell you this wrong nipple. Replacement is to big so what they said or what came out of the box of ampro's was not correct. Oh well. Back to the shop. Gun shoots fine as is, just looking for backup!

Actually, the thread that is close to 3/16 inches is a #10. It is .190 diameter and 3/16" is .1875.

A external # 12 thread is .208-.215 or about 7/32 inches in diameter

AS Long as the hammer hits the cap, the b]nipple is fine.

I strongly recommend the HOT SHOT nipple available at TOW another dealer. It will probably prevent many future misfires.

Dutch Schoultz

Got a TC cherokee 45 cal carbine. Scouts love it with the light weight, 25 grain 3f roundball load offhand. Over a 1000 shots with this nipple. Now I realize it is a light bp charge, but here is the question, gunshop I frequent has different height replacement 1/4 ×28 nipples. Currently my Cherokee has a "short" nipple.

Is there a benefit or issue with using a "taller" 1/4×28 nipple as long as threads match up?

Yes and Thank you, if you read the thread,, a couple of us have tried to point that out.
(wink smiley)(that's not available)

Last edited:
necchi:
Wink's not available? ;)
It's the second smiley from the left in the smiley box when you click on the little smiley symbol at the top of the writing box when your writing your new post.
Clicking on the symbol (7th from the right) opens the available smiley box.

Back