• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tc new englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
ran across a tc new englander and could tell by the pitting on the snail and the end of the barrels bore it was not in good shape. For this horably neglected consingment gun the customer needed 180 out of it. I said I would take on a charity case and pay 100 for the piece, it had a nice stock and trigger. I want to get a shotgun barrel for it and well enhance my Bp arsenal. THE question is am I being a cheepskate, I can procure a renegade in the same shape for 100, but I like the single trigger and sleek lines for a shotgun. the truth be told I have a 54 cal hawken barrrel in fine shape for the renegade, and really want both rifles.

Better check the hawken barrel is 15/16 across the flats and the renegade stock takes 1" barrels.
At least the ones that I have seen, unless special ordered.

BILLYGOAT said:
Better check the hawken barrel is 15/16 across the flats and the renegade stock takes 1" barrels.
At least the ones that I have seen, unless special ordered.

Actually the Hawken barrels come in two sizes:

.45/.50cal = 15/16"
.54/.58cal = 1"...and they will drop into the Renegade stock OK

The New Englander is a nice little rifle, but I'm thinking I paid maybe $160 for the kit when I got mine. I think the new & completed ones were under $200. $180 is a bit steep for a pitted N/E IMHO.

If you can still find the shotgun barrel it is a dandy little grouse scarer. Throws a .690 ball pretty solidly, too.

I prefer mine with the .50 rifle barrel for hunting over my .54 Renegade because it is shorter & lighter to carry, and the single trigger works better for me (cold, numb & possibly gloved or mittened hands). I snagged a trigger on my Renegade when setting & moving up to the "real" trigger and lofted a shot yards over a nice buck. Haven't deer hunted with double triggers since then.

:shocked2: Here is my muzzleloading story, I bought a 54 renegade in 98 after a bad trrip with a cheep traditions, I eventually got a 32 cal green mountain barrel for it to change between small game and big game. Well I liked the barrel soo much I thought it deserved its own body so I I found a really nice 54 cal tc hawken for 175, it included a raccoon tail on the barrel rib I figured the tail was worth that at least. Well now I would like a shotgun in bp I like Tc firearms and like the feel and single trigger of the new englander, would like to get a shotgun barrel if I do buy it, The orignal question has to be answered considering the "value" TC firearms Is 100 dollars for a New Englander with a messed up barrel fair? Is it now the case that TC firearms are not of the quality they once were or is the price for these pieces grossly inflated on Ebay and gunbroker etc....Finally were is a good source for shotgun barrels, I think the Tree hawk barrels will work, for the new englander

The orignal question has to be answered considering the "value" TC firearms Is 100 dollars for a New Englander with a messed up barrel fair?

Can't tell you without examining it. "Messed up" could be anything from harmless "flash rusting" to deep, savage pitting and a ruined bore. Everyone had a different acceptance level for rust and/or pitting. Pitted does not necessarily mean innacurate, by the way, just harder to clean.

Question is: "is it worth $100 to you?" IF you can get a barrel I'd say a goow walnut stock, lock and trigger is worth $40, $50 and $10, in that order. There's your $100. If you CAN'T find a barrel, they wouldn't be worth that much to me.

I haven't bought a T/C since 1988, so I can't say how they stack up now.

Latest posts

Back