• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander with screw in chokes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Trying to work up a Turkey load for my 12ga. Have a extra full extended choke,that none of my wads will go thru. I have the extended tube so I just screw it out to load.Are these tight wads going to cause a restriction when shot thru that choke.A dangerous restriction? Can't help your pattern either. Any ideas, thanks.

I had one with the screw in chokes. As soon as I realized that I had to screw the choke out to reload it I sold it. If I remember correctly the few shots I took had a terrible pattern. I imagine someone else will come along with input. Hadn't even thought of a safety issue. Best I can do. Good luck.

I once owned a traditions shotgun. Same issue as you have. Had to remove the choke tube to reload. I ended up getting a HR Strut extended choke tube with the knurled end. I still had to remove it to reload but at least I could use my fingers and didn't need to fumble around looking for the choke tube wrench.
The gun actually shot a nice pattern out to 30 yards. I think my load was 1 1/4 ounce of # 4 lead shot with about 80 grains of 2f Goex black powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never used a TC with choke tubes, my New Englander 12ga does not have a tube barrel. I do use a Pedersoli 12ga SxS that uses tubes. Per the Carlson Choke Tubes interchange chart ( https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Fit_Charts/Carlsons-2018-Interchange-Chart.pdf ), both TC and Pedersoli will accept Winchester, Browning Invector & Mossberg 500 choke tubes. Mine certainly accepts the Mossberg tubes I use. Cheaper and much more available than Pedersoli tubes. The Mossberg tubes I have are beveled at the mouth making loading a bit easier. Waterfowl hunting, where a quicker reload is important, I use the IC tubes and they load fine. The little shoulder where the tube ends and the barrel begins is actually the bigger issue and only made worse by removing the tubes to load. But when turkey hunting a quick reload is not an issue. Done right the hunt is over with the first shot. I load with the IC tube and swap in the full. Matter of fact I load at home the night before and transport loaded and uncapped in the morning. Transporting loaded and uncapped is, believe it or not, legal in California.

Mossberg extended choke tube with edges beveled - two thumbs up.
Also, maybe try felt wads as opposed to card wads
Good luck

My TC New englander works well with a modified choke, 90 grains 2F goex, and 100 grains #4 bismuth shot. I use a cardboard wad over the powder and a couple thin felt lubed wads over the shot. Kills turkeys dead.

I have also used a .690 round ball with patch under 80 grains of 2F and it is accurate to 50 yards, but I used an IC choke for the round ball. (Not for turkeys).

Mossberg extended choke tube with edges beveled - two thumbs up.
Also, maybe try felt wads as opposed to card wads
Good luck

Actually my Mossberg tubes are the flush tubes. I have been scratching my head about getting some full choke extended tubes and opening the bevel more. Might pickup a few yards on the waterfowl?

I use punched felt wads and bore butter with another felt wad or thin card overshot. Mine seems to pattern fine out to about 30 yds with the modified tube. I've only hunted upland though, not turkeys. I'm betting the felt wads would work through a tighter tube though maybe not as tight a pattern as you're thinking, especially if you're trying to duplicate a modern cartridge turkey pattern.

Just FYI, here is the Mossberg on the right vs the Pedersoli on the left:

IMG_2020.jpg

Latest posts

Back