• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC New Englander/Renegade Rebore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing if anyone has rebored a New Englander or Renegade 50 caliber to a smooth bore shotgun gauge. Also, what is the maximum gauge that can be done? I called Bobby Hoyt to talk but answering machine said he was busy till March so I don’t want to bother him. I should have bought a New Englander 12 gauge years ago but family and hounds didn’t allow for that and prices now are out of my league. Any info would be appreciated on what anyone has had done. Thanks in advance.

I have sent several renegade barrels to Bobby. I let him judge based on the depth of any dove tails or sight drillings as to the safest maximum caliber he can take the barrel too. He did one in 58 cal smoothbore. Each barrel is different, and I let the expert decide. Good luck.

Renegades are 1" across the flats, so .62 is doable, depending on the depth of the screw holes. Bobby bored a .50 Renegade out to .58 smoothbore (24 ga.) for me last spring, I've been very happy with it thus far. I asked for a .58 because I wanted a gun that could handle 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 ounce shot loads and could handle PRB's and Minies. The .58 is pretty versatile.

I'm the same way Brokenock
What I hate is finding a good deal on a beauty of a gun and decide I gotta have it then find out the ad is 5 to 7yrs old. LPL

First step, measure the depths of the holes threaded into the barrel and decide if they'll let you have a smooth bore as big as you'd want to have. I have a couple of one inch across the flats Green Mountain .61 barrels, one later rifled by Mr. Hoyt. They're 32" long and (for me) plum perfect for weight and muzzle hang on TC Hawken and Renegade stocks.

Back