• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Maxi Shok

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well i just picked up a TC Grey Hawk in .54 recently and with it came a manure load of shooting accesories as shown in the picture;
b2e16bd6.jpg

Not seen on the pic were 1 & 3/4 lbs of Pyrodex RS and a flask full of same powder (the other 1/4), possibles bag,full carton of 1000 No.11 caps and 5 quick loads. Anyways, the feller I bought all this from must've decided to give up the bp shooting cause he included everything.
So in amongst all the goods was a in near new unused condition, a TC Maxi Shok kit with bore guides for 45,50 & 54 and 4 different style tips that screw into the guides(dot tip, star tip , cross tip & arrow tip).
MaxiShok.jpg

Designed to make round balls and conicals able to expand more readily by firmly tapping whilst seating the projectile to make the appropriate cavity in the nose of said projectile.
My question here is; "has anyone ever used one of these and how did it shoot, expand etc?"
Thanks in advance.
Huntsman

Jamie from Alberta said:
MaxiShok.jpg

Designed to make round balls and conicals able to expand more readily by firmly tapping whilst seating the projectile to make the appropriate cavity in the nose of said projectile.
My question here is; "has anyone ever used one of these and how did it shoot, expand etc?"
Thanks in advance.
Huntsman

Looks like you did very well, congratulations. :thumbsup:

As far as the "Maxi-Shock" thing, I can't imagine why it would be necessary when using pure lead. It sounded good in theory but was one of those things with no real benefit to the buyer designed solely to enrich the seller. I doubt if they still make them.

How about shooting a maxi-ball stock and with the modifications into a sand bank and comparing the results. I for one would like to see what happens. :) Larry Wv

larry wv said:
How about shooting a maxi-ball stock and with the modifications into a sand bank and comparing the results. I for one would like to see what happens. :) Larry Wv
the maxi-shock does work well on maxi-balls. if you have ever used maxi-balls on deer you know they don't expand well on deer unless you hit major bone. the maxi-shock will make them expand even on rib hits. of course the whole process can be skipped by using a HP Great Plains or Maxi-Hunter. kinda a solution looking for a problem.

I don't see the need for expansion with this type of amunition.
We are talking a hole that starts out at .45-.54 of an inch (depending on caliber used) that often ends with complete pass through. The exit hole is likely a tad larger.
This is a larger hole than alot of the modern rifles punch.

cynthialee said:
I don't see the need for expansion with this type of amunition.
We are talking a hole that starts out at .45-.54 of an inch (depending on caliber used) that often ends with complete pass through. The exit hole is likely a tad larger.
This is a larger hole than alot of the modern rifles punch.
the reason i quit using maxiballs on deer back in the '80's was the entry and exit was not anything to write home about. in fact the exit seemed smaller (unless bone was hit) like the unsupported nose portion folded back into the generous lube groove.

Latest posts

Back