• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

?TC ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a list posted anywhere that, based on serial number, would give an idea of when a TC Hawken was made? Did TC even do that? I realize that they preceeded the serial number with a "K" if it was a kit, but was just wondering if I could date the one I have somehow. I had forgotten I even had it. Picked it up at a gunshow in Texas in about 1990.

riverrat43 said:
Is there a list posted anywhere that, based on serial number, would give an idea of when a TC Hawken was made? Did TC even do that? I realize that they preceeded the serial number with a "K" if it was a kit, but was just wondering if I could date the one I have somehow. I had forgotten I even had it. Picked it up at a gunshow in Texas in about 1990.
There may be but so far I haven't run across anything like that...I called TC with a similar question several years ago and they said all their records were lost in that big plant fire in the 90's.

Plus, with the buying/selling/swapping of interchangeable barrels that goes on, unless the specific previous ownership history is clearly known, there's no guarantee that the barrel presently on the stock necessarily came with it.

Sometimes you can generalize a decade by some features that were changed in production over the years...ie: the size and shape of the stocks...if a caplock, whether or not there's a cleanout screw in the snail...if it has the old style adjustable rear sight...old style front sight...is the muzzle cut flat or crowned...is the word Hawken stamped on the barrel or not, etc.

If you can get an oldtimer at the TC repair shop to slow down long enough to discuss those features with you he might be able to peg it pretty close...but you better hurray, not many of them left.

roundball -

I for one have always appreciated the bits a pieces that you have posted in help along this line here on the forum. You probably have a better handle on the TC time line than anyone else here. I know that I, and I'd venture a bet that everyone here would greatly appreciate it if you'd put together a new post containing as much information as you can offer on the TC's all together in one place. A description of the variations, their approximate time lines, serial number ranges, etc - maybe even photos.

Admin might even consider making your post a sticky, that other members could offer photos or data they believe to be fact. IOW, author putting together that illusive "list" right here on MLF for the benefit of all.

Either way, thanks again for sharing some of your insight and experience with the TC's.

WA

Walks Alone said:
roundball -

I for one have always appreciated the bits a pieces that you have posted in help along this line here on the forum. You probably have a better handle on the TC time line than anyone else here. I know that I, and I'd venture a bet that everyone here would greatly appreciate it if you'd put together a new post containing as much information as you can offer on the TC's all together in one place. A description of the variations, their approximate time lines, serial number ranges, etc - maybe even photos.

Admin might even consider making your post a sticky, that other members could offer photos or data they believe to be fact. IOW, author putting together that illusive "list" right here on MLF for the benefit of all.

Either way, thanks again for sharing some of your insight and experience with the TC's.

WA

Well, I'm just a guy who started shooting TC Hawkens and before you know it years have gone by...yes, I or anyone couldn't help but learn some things along the way with a strong focus on one product line...but, some of what I've "learned" are conclusions based on trends over the years, not really based on conferring with TC for their review & approval...the worry would be I'd post something assuming it to be the case but it be an incorrect conclusion, etc.

However, on your idea in general, I've often wondered about a separate section for mass produced muzzleloaders...thinking that as diversified as this Forum is with many specialized sections, it might be a good thing to consider setting up another section for "Mass Produced Muzzleloaders...(like there's a section for Handgonnes, etc).

Wthin such a possible section there could be a category for Thompson Center, one for Lyman, one for Austin/Halleck, etc...like the "Reenactors" section is set up with it's separate categories within.

There does seem to be a large % of Forum members who own and use mass produced muzzleloaders...if Claude seees this post maybe he could "cogitate" on it a while and let us know...

Ha Roundball Could a new book Say history of T/C rifles be in order? I'd read it, and you could do it. (and might make some cash for a new rifle) :winking:

roundball said:
Within such a possible section there could be a category for Thompson Center, one for Lyman, one for Austin/Halleck, etc...

Interesting idea, but I have a few concerns. First, this would be a tremendous amount of work for a volunteer. Second, how can I trust that the information would be accurate?

This also opens the door for every brand of muzzleloader ever manufactured (rifle, smoothbore, pistol, underhammer, etc). Someone is going to want their "model" added to the list.

There's a balance between not providing enough categories and trying to be all things to all people. This is the reason we have not added a separate "Hawken" section. As soon as we did, someone would request the next "special" category.

I'm not saying any of these options are out of the question, I'm just sharing some of the concerns that are always on our mind. Additional sub-categories are not out of the question, but they require a lot of consideration.

It is an interesting idea! We got the builders bench which encompasses custom builds. This would be the opposite of that. Builds from kits and also guns mass produces. :hatsoff: Very interesting. :hmm:

Claude said:
gmww said:
We got the builders bench which encompasses custom builds.

Actually, the "Builder's Bench" includes kits or anything you might do an existing firearm, factory-built or not.

It goes beyond that even, there are older post about rifling machines, making a work bench, making a shooter's bench, making powder horns...

It would help if you posted the first digets of the serial number of your rifle. Eight months ago or so someone posted the serial numbers and date he bought his rifles through the years. It was a great help in dating my rifle. Perhaps someone has a rifle with a serial number close to yours that knows when their rifle was made.

Robert

One last little word about the Builders Bench before we get back to TC Serial Numbers.

IMO, as moderator of the Builders Bench, I'll permit anything that is Built (except for houses and cars and stuff like that).
If it was made out of old fashioned stuff, I would even permit a canoe. :)

Now back to the elusive Serial Number.

Zonie said:
IMO, as moderator of the Builders Bench, I'll permit anything that is Built (except for houses and cars and stuff like that).

As long as the canoe is a "weapon", which is the category the "Builder's Bench" falls under. :winking:

Claude said:
Zonie said:

As long as the canoe is a "weapon", which is the category the "Builder's Bench" falls under. :winking:

:hmm:...the forerunner of today's "Fast Attack Submarines"...?

I can date these numbers from when I bought them new:

1979 26XXX
1992 319XXX
1993 353XXX Kit
1996 481XXX

RDE

That's good info...people should jot that down...are they all Hawkens...if not, the model names would be helpful, as I think different models had their own S/N ranges assigned.

Unfortunately, I've only had two new Hawkens in my life...one from the special run of "Hawken Customs", the other was a 25th Anniversary .45cal...sold both of them, kept the S/N, but it's widespread knowledge the year both those runs were made, listed in catalogs, etc.

Everything else I have I bought used, refinished the stocks, installed new RB barrels, etc, so mine don't serve as any good benchmark for original dates.

roundball said:
Claude said:
Zonie said:

:hmm:...the forerunner of today's "Fast Attack Submarines"...?

Wouldn't they be considered PC landing crafts with armed occupants? :rotf:

"...As long as the canoe is a "weapon..."

Claude: You haven't ridden in a Canoe with me paddleing before, have you?? :rotf: :grin: :rotf:

I can date these numbers from when I bought them new:

1979 26XXX-----------Renegade
1992 319XXX----------Renegade
1993 353XXX Kit------Renegade
1996 481XXX----------Hawken

1996 14XXX-----------Cherokee, it was a used gun.

RDE

Back