• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC hawkin trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc356

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a used TC hawkin the tang screws heads were getting messed up. I called TC and they sent me new screws. (I got a wood screw and a longer metal screw from them) The old screws look bigger then the new one. When I took the tang off to clean it, I was surprised that one screw did not go thru the stock and go into the bottom metal like the Winchester 94. Is that how all muzzle loaders are made? Is there much pressure on the tang when fired? I also found that the stock was cracked in front of the screw that starts on the left side, under the tang and connects to the lock on the right side. It is cracked on both sides and goes to the screw hole. Is it still safe to shoot? If not any idea

jc356 I have a t/c hawkens and yes the tang machine screw goes threw the stock and threads into the trigger guard. I don't think the dealer will take the gun back you can try e bay there are alot of stocks f/s .
I would try to just return the gun to t/c explaining the stock cracked and see what they say .They do say there guns have a lifetime warranty.I seen alot of stock crack at that point were the screw that goes threw the stock and holds the lock in, for some reasons guys like to over tighten them myself I just tighten enough to feel the screw stop that it.

so you don't have two wood screws that hold the tang? this is an older gun with the extra screw hole for tang sight. serial #k66xxx do you know if TC made a change to the tang screws?
thanks for the other advice,
Jeff

jc356 MY T/C FLINTER WAS MADE IN 1977 AND ONLY HAS ONE WOOD SCREW IN THE REAR OF THE TANG,THE FRONT SCREW IS A MACHINE SCREW THAT GOES THREW THE STOCK INTO THE TRIGGER GUARD.I ALSO HAVE A EXTRA TAP HOLE FOR A REAR PEEP SIGHT.

Write a nice letter to TC explaining your problem with it,send the whole gun back to TC. They more than likely will restock it for you. All my guns are TC's...Any problems just sent it back and it was taken care of.

IMO the T/C Hawken tang isn't under a lot of strain if it is bedded in the stock correctly.
The one machine screw (forward one) and the wood screw (rear) is about all it needs.
The crack at the lock screw may get worse with use but it is not dangerous to shoot the gun with this crack in the stock.
The K in the Serial number indicates it was a Kit gun. I'm not sure if T/C will take ownership of the stock for the life of the gun but it's worth a try.
A few people like me have replaced their stock with aftermarket stocks and may be willing to part with their old stock for a real cheap price. I would give you a good price, but I sold it about a year ago. As I recall I got about $30 for it.

JC, get a box of Accra Glass bedding compound, the thin stuff. Cut some inner tube rubber into long strips or get a length of surgical tubing. Spread the crack as far as you can without breaking anything and stuff the bedding epoxy into it as much as possible. You want to get this in deep. Sqeeze the wood together and clean off some of the excess. Wrap it real tight with the rubber bands and tape them in place with masking tape. Set it aside for a day or two, then unwrap it and clean it up. Rub some finish on and go shoot. It won't break again. Make sure you get the right screws as the guys say. ::

Just send it back to TC. If you call, they will tell you to send it with a letter explaining the problem. They won't even log it until it is sent in. They are not concerned whether you are even the original owner. Their only request is that you remove the barrell from the stock before sending it.

I sent my TC Hawken in 8 weeks ago and got it back yesterday. Mine had a cracked stock as well and they replaced the wood and all the furniture except for 2 small pieces. I also noted an alignment issue with the hammer and sent them my broken ramrod. They replaced the whole lock and sent me one of their rubber coated fiberglass ramrods.

So, I would just send it. Your total expense is the cost to ship it. They are a fantastic company!

Send it back to TC...you might even send it to the attention of the Service Manager, Tim Pancurak with a memo asking for his assistance, etc.
They've replaced an entire stock assembly for me, and a few older flintlock assemblies...my experiences with their lifetime service has been outstanding

Back