• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Hawken sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
8C1E37F6-C915-4A0D-988E-E8FC45C294F0.jpeg
8DBAA696-8A0A-42BC-B815-CD170FBEB9B8.jpeg
1AFDD749-F09E-4C21-BB46-CC911D0C19C3.jpeg

Here’s my TC Hawken with the factory sights. These are good, fully adjustable sights and I am able to zero the rifle just fine with them. However, I’ve never liked the way they look, especially the rear sight. It looks too modern to me.

Has anyone on here ever replaced theirs with something that looks more traditional? If so, would you care to share pictures?

I’ve searched this forum and the net but so far have only found a couple of images that I might like. I am hoping someone on here could give me some more ideas.

Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone on here ever replaced theirs with something that looks more traditional? If so, would you care to share pictures?
Yes, I did so early on in 1970 when I acquired my TC 'not really a Hawken hawken'. I browned the barrel and put on patridge style fixed (primitive rule acceptable) sights. Since then it has pretty much been a safe queen. I'll try to post pics later.

The gun is not a traditional gun, it is a close replica. If you replace with a traditional sight you may or will have to deal with threaded holes to fill ( for looks) and cut a dove tail, plus you will lose your easier adjust ability. You may then find out the front sight may have to be changed to work with your new rear sight. I have a few guns of this make and design, for me I have no problem with the sight design and looks but some people do. Before you start cutting keep up the research and best of luck to you.

The gun is not a traditional gun, it is a close replica. If you replace with a traditional sight you may or will have to deal with threaded holes to fill ( for looks) and cut a dove tail, plus you will lose your easier adjust ability. You may then find out the front sight may have to be changed to work with your new rear sight. I have a few guns of this make and design, for me I have no problem with the sight design and looks but some people do. Before you start cutting keep up the research and best of luck to you.
Fiddling with yer gun is part of the attraction to this avocation. Part of the game.

I have the same sights on my rifle and I really don't like them. The front bread obscures 8moa and is hard to center precisely when aiming. I'm going to file the front to a conventional post and see if that's enough improvement to warrant leaving the rear alone.

Thanks. Good info.

I have the same sights on my rifle and I really don't like them. The front bread obscures 8moa and is hard to center precisely when aiming. I'm going to file the front to a conventional post and see if that's enough improvement to warrant leaving the rear alone.
I filed my Hawken front sight early on. Much improved. Take a little off at a time.

I like it. Did you change the front sight also?
I use a straight blade about .100” wide depending on barrel length. About perfect as it can get for me. Set width to cover around 6” +/- at 100 yards, again, width depending on barrel length. I have to play with notch width on the rear for that optimal sight picture. My eyes are not what they used to be.
1644633538573.jpeg

Last edited:
I hated the stock TC sights. I dovetailed a buckhorn on the back and epoxied the screws into the holes and filed off the heads. Then I put a silver blade on a copper base on the front.

View attachment 121189View attachment 121192View attachment 121194
Here’s my TC Hawken with the factory sights. These are good, fully adjustable sights and I am able to zero the rifle just fine with them. However, I’ve never liked the way they look, especially the rear sight. It looks too modern to me.

I’ve searched this forum and the net but so far have only found a couple of images that I might like. I am hoping someone on here could give me some more ideas.

Thanks
There's an awful lot of good to be said about adjustable sights. Pretty might not be one of 'em.

That is true. I cannot complain about the function of these sights. I will probably leave well enough alone.

• We have factory sights on our rifles and we find ( my wife and I) that at our age, the rear sights just don’t lend themselves to accurate fire. My wife and her son have 50 cal TC Hawken rifles whereas I own a TC 54 cal renegade. I’ve since located a couple of tang peep sights to solve our sighting issues. As far as authenticity is concerned, I’d rather see us hit the broad side of the barn. Than worry about authentic sights.

T/C used to offer a dovetail base that screwed onto the barrel in the place of the rear sight. You then selected whatever "primitive" rear sight you like and tap in into the dovetail. Out front...The original T/C front sight is awful. It's hard to imagine anyone who actually shoots one of those rifles specifying that thing. I've replaced all of them on any T/C barrel I've ever owned, except one. On that one...I used some patient and careful work with a couple of jeweler's files to reduce the size of that big blob out front and got a much nicer sight picture. Of course...after the front was reduced, the big notch in the T/C rear made it difficult to draw a "fine bead" on a target. To resolve that problem...I filled the notch in with JB Weld. Let it cure overnight, then cut a small V-shaped notch. Works GREAT...!

Back