• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Hawken reworked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
As much as I like these TCs there’s some details that I prefer to change. The cheek piece, wrist, inlays and such. Here’s what the changes look like.
IMG_0811 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

To this
IMG_0818 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

forearm and escutcheons
IMG_0809 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

IMG_0820 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

A few other details are the added toe plate, lock bolt escutcheon, reduced height of wrist at comb and reshaped lock panels. Also a bit of stain and Tru-oil finish.

As much as I like these TCs there’s some details that I prefer to change. The cheek piece, wrist, inlays and such. Here’s what the changes look like.

To this

forearm and escutcheons

A few other details are the added toe plate, lock bolt escutcheon, reduced height of wrist at comb and reshaped lock panels. Also a bit of stain and Tru-oil finish.
Nice updates/changes!

To this

forearm and escutcheons

MUCH BETTER! I usually cringe when I see how refinished t/c’s turn out. All of the edges softened and the lock panels particularly. With all of the edges sanded away…

Back in the 80's I read an article where a guy modified his T/C Hawken with conversion kit parts that I believe are still available from the Hawken Shop and maybe Dixie Gun Works? It included a more historically correct looking steel trigger guard, nose cap, rear sight, and maybe butt plate. All of which he finished by browning. He also re-shaped the cheek-piece to look more like a historical Hawken.

He did a nice job on that rifle. I can't remember what magazine it was in, but wish I saved it.

I did the same, the appearance greatly improves, I have another one waiting in the wings for a similar upgrade.
TC cheek side.JPG

Nice job on the modification.... A .50 TC Hawken was my first MLer and it started out being my squirrel rifle built from a kit until I built a .45 LR . It has killed deer and elk in addition to snowshoe hares and cottontails.

W/ the big elk loads {425 gr Buffalo Bullets} I rec'd some painful slaps on the cheek so reduced the comb height and took a lot of wood off the cheekpiece which solved the problem. Its shallow rifling contributed to its outstanding accuracy enabling head hits using a PRB.

Best buy in guns I ever made......Fred
TC Hawken.JPG

Looks good!

Im starting a similar clean-up on a Renegade. Have the replacement trigger guard, inset lock screw escutcheon, 2 leaf rear sight to be dovetailed into the barrel to remove/cover the screw holes, silver blade front sight, lowered comb and lengthened wrist, and probably an English butt plate later.

Thanks for the kind words. I found that narrowing the front half of the comb and flattening the cheek piece without lowering the comb improves how recoil is felt. Slotted the key and pinned it so it can’t be lost as well.
IMG_0822 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I've owned a bunch of those TC Hawkens over the years and never regretted a one of them. I just think they are the best muzzlelstuffers a guy can play with.....they are attractive and shoot good and easy to work on when one needs something. I sure would like to see them back being sold again !!

Back