• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken rear sight adjustment clicks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I will post a pic of sight also. I have had this 50 cal TC Hawken since bought new in 1972. Shot maybe 50 times in 50 years. Anyway the rear sight has clicks/detent when turning the top screw for height adjustment. Seems like when I do a click either up or down the impact moves way too much. What was the original settings info for this sight. I'm not trying to be detailed here. And of course I realize this is black powder shooting and there are many variables that make impacts move all over the place. Need not remind me about that. Just wondering if all was perfect could you say " well of course 2 clicks down on the rear sight will lower impact 4 inches at 75 yards". I could not find any info on the internet about this subject. Thanks in advance.
IMG_5819.JPG

i dont think there can be a 'standard ' with all the variables, never saw anything in the t/c manual except clockwise for down and counter for up. is this an early gun with a blade front sight that could be filed?? at what distance are you shooting?

i dont think there can be a 'standard ' with all the variables, never saw anything in the t/c manual except clockwise for down and counter for up. is this an early gun with a blade front sight that could be filed?? at what distance are you shooting?
It does have a blade front sight. Not having an issue with that or the rear. Was just wondering about the rear. What is the meaning of a click other than moving impact up or down. Like I said in the original, I do understand this is black powder shooting and just about anything that is not "consistant" is loading with vary the impact.

To my knowledge the click is just the pall going into a small indent so the sight cannot move on it's own. Never saw how many minutes each click does.

A minute is app 1 inch at 100 yards 4 inches at 75 yards would be around 2 minutes per click but just guessing.

Typically I have found TC factory sights to move about a MOA on their 26” and 28” barrels. Figure around 3/4” movement per click at 75 yards for a starting point.
Just wondering if all was perfect could you say " well of course 2 clicks down on the rear sight will lower impact 4 inches at 75 yards". I could not find any info on the internet about this subject.
5 clicks should move your POI almost 4” at 75 yards, however, the best info will be found at the range while shooting your gun.

Start out at 25 or 50 yards. Figure the load you want to shoot. Shoot from a bagged rest at least three rounds holding the same point of aim. After that add or decrease your load 5 grains and repeat. That should give you a good base line to start from. :thumb:
After a couple grouping rounds, adjust the sight. Repeat.

Back