• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Hawken Info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoDakRifleman

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a TC Hawken .50 cal muzzleloader from a local gunshop. In my opinion, the rifle was priced reasonably, and I've been seeing them go like wild fire, so I thought I would get my hands on one before they are gone.

I've contacted TC for info (I've heard of the fire they had so this might be a pipe dream), but I'm hoping anyone here with plenty of prior knowledge could help me out.

I know my way around plenty of firearm types and makes, but I am relatively new to muzzleloaders and would classify my knowledge on them as novice at best. The surface of the barrel, stock, action, etc all look incredible...it feels like a new rifle. I tried my best (didn't have a borescope) to examine the crown and rifling for issues or "buyer beware" items but it looked solid to me.

If anyone has any input that would put my mind at ease about this purchase, I would be greatly appreciative. I am still plenty within the return policy in case it turns out to be a lemon, but I'd love to keep it and hunt with it.

Thanks,
G

Run a cleaning patch down the bore and feel if the patch goes down and back out smoothly or if you can feel it running across any rough spots. Go slow.:thumb:
For my money, if you want to know the condition of a bore, purchase or borrow a borescope. They are not that expensive considering what we invest in these guns. I have seen barrels that feel great with a patch but look like a corncob when viewed with a borescope.

The feature on later T/C rifles called the QLA (Quick Load Accurizer) was a counter bore meant to make loading the T/C Maxi-ball easier. That feature is not well thought of, and it seems as if your rifle does not have it. I would say that you can be comfortable with your purchase.

Last edited:
Photos would assist- A 38 spl with tin foil on end dropped down bore- reflects flashlight.

Or a arrow knock light …. Can help.

Last edited:
Back