• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Hawken hammer ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The hammer on mine is not aligned correctly with the nipple. It is too far to the left. There is what looks like carbon build up in the cap hole that hits the cap or is the hole made that way ? This rifle has only been fired about 200 times.

Photos my friend, we need to see the problems. ;)

Sounds like over time the lock has gone deeper into the mortise. This can happen as the wood fibers get a lot of oil and the lock bolt is screwed in tight, compressing the wood fibers over time, or can be due to a kit, but can't be sure without a visual confirmation....

LD

Pull the nipple and give it a good cleaning, there should not be any build up in it, it could be a deformed nipple from being hit off center in which case replace the nipple.

Sounds like you need to bend the hammer a little bit to align things. If it is a kit gun the lock inletting could be off.

It could also be of the era when the locks were held in place with hot melt glue and the glue has fallen out, The first time I pulled a new manufacture TC Hawkens flintlock lock to clean the gun the glue fell out and threw things out of kilter.

the hammer and nipple alignment. The hammer just misses the edge of the nipple
hammer.JPG

The simplest fix is to tweak the inletting. scrape the wood on the bottom edge of the plate only so the lock goes in a hair deeper. Use sharpie marker or dry erase to determine where it touches, on the bottom only, and remove a little at a time. The hammer will tilt out as you remove wood.

Do not do this bind, without inletting black. Do not remove any wood on the outer edge what will show.

the hammer and nipple alignment. The hammer just misses the edge of the nipple
View attachment 100209
We can't see how the lock face fits the wood. (lock panel) If you do any wood correction keep in mind where the lock/lock panel will end up! If it is a proper fit for in and out, I would bend the hammer. Place in a vice with leather protection and tweak it.
Larry

When bending hammers I always heat the hammer with a propane torch while the hammer is held in a vise with brass jaws, A quick spray with WD 40 after bending gives a nice color to the hammer. While I know some people have bent their hammers cold, I had one break on me many years ago so I always heat now.

I broke one that i heated with propane. Obviously didnt get it hot enough. I used map gas on the second one.

I have bent almost every hammer I have. I don't know if TC ever made one that fit. I heated mine with a torch then bent them to hit square. Some of them I bent the thumb part to clear better when I cock my guns with peep sights.

Back