• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Custom Info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just bought TC Hawken Custom and was wondering if anyone had more information on them. From a couple threads I found in the classifieds it seems they were made in a limited run during the 90's at their Fox Ridge Outfitters custom shop. Does anyone know the the barrel twist rate? I haven't received it yet, it's being shipped so I can't check myself yet. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

1592910713669.png

Pretty sure the Custom has a 1:48 twist. As shown in picture, all the hardware is blued instead of brass. Don't believe it has a patch box.

If the barrel doesn't say "Round Ball Twist" on it, I'm going to stick with 1:48. Blue may be a higher luster. There was a Hawken Classic II that had a 1:66 Round Ball Twist barrel.

The Hawken Custom I believe has a 30in barrel and a roundball twist.

Run a cleaning rod down it and measure the twist if you want to know. Probably the depth of the rifling is different between a roundball barrel and a 1/48 barrel. I think TC made a Pennsylvania Hunter model rifle with a round ball barrel?

Right out of TC's #21 catalog. 28" 1in48 Twist .50 cal. I so wanted to bump you on that rifle LOL! The auction house that has those auctions is only 30 miles away for me.

If the barrel doesn't say "Round Ball Twist" on it, I'm going to stick with 1:48. Blue may be a higher luster. There was a Hawken Classic II that had a 1:66 Round Ball Twist barrel.
Yup, they had high luster Blue and Premium Walnut. 1in48 Twist.

Right out of TC's #21 catalog. 28" 1in48 Twist .50 cal. I so wanted to bump you on that rifle LOL! The auction house that has those auctions is only 30 miles away for me.
Thanks! Could you by any chance post a pic of the catalog with the info? I can't find any sort of documentation online on these Customs.

I think I'll start buying up vintage TC catalogs. Gosh I miss the days when TC made a ton of different ML rifles!

I think I'll start buying up vintage TC catalogs. Gosh I miss the days when TC made a ton of different ML rifles!
I probably got a dozen different TC catalogs from the 1980s and 1990s. Find a reason to rummage through them every other month or so. Also hanging on to some older Dixie catalogs. Little monitory value in them, but at times, priceless.

I always thought that was the best-looking "Hawken" T/C ever made. The iron mountings (to my eye) are preferable to brass, and I never had much use for the little cap box. This rifle appears to use a different hammer from the typical Hawken, also.

I have a saved copy of the Fox Ridge Outfitters Catalog #17 which shows a rifle that appears identical to yours, but they call it the Hawken Classic II Rifle. They list it with two variations. No. A020193 is in .50 caliber with a 28" barrel and 1 turn in 48" twist. No. A020194 is in .50 caliber with a 31" barrel and 1 turn in 66" twist. Both are the same price ($525.00), and both have 15/16" barrels. So, it looks like barrel length may be the key for quick identification of probable rate of twist. These rifles are also described as having "Selected-Custom Grade American Black Walnut." Your Hawken has pretty nice wood, too, so that may have been standard for this rifle.

I don't know the date of this catalog. I don't find a date anywhere on it or in it. Based on my mailing address (which the post office changed from a rural route to a street address) and the fact that the catalog does not show a website (so it is pre-internet), I'm guessing early 1990's.

This Fox Ridge Outfitters catalog also shows interchangeable barrels for the Hawken Classic II rifles, but interestingly, the replacement barrels are priced differently. The 28" barrel with 1:48 twist is listed for $195.00, while the 31" barrel with 1:66 twist is priced at $235.00. This seems odd to me, since the two different rifles were priced the same, but that's what the catalog shows.

In any event, you have keeper there, hoss! Have fun with it, and be safe!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I bought a custom shop Renegade back in the late 80's that had a 32" barrel with a roundball twist of 1:66. It too had some select walnut for a stock. It has some nice figure to it, as opposed to the straight grain walnut usually found on Renegades and Hawkins.

There was a Hawken Classic II with that recently sold on gun broker -it has Fox Ridge and 25th Anniversary stamped on barrel so that would be 1995 since the Hawken came out in 1970.

I have one but not with the original barrel. They were made I believe in 1993 and 1994. I found a T/C Pa Hunter barrel, 28" with a 1:66 twist, that I had to trim the the under rib to fit the Hawken stock. Looks great and shoots great.

Back