• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Barrel Lug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TScottW99

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a Thompson Center Hawken, finished kit .50 cal, about ten years ago from an estate sale. The gun appeared unfired when I bought it and I’ve enjoyed shooting it.

At the last muzzleloader shoot, my groups went to manure. When I got home, I took the rifle down and found the barrel lug so loose that it was partially out of the dovetail.

Trying to figure out how to fix this. Would the best bet be to find a new/old stock lug or is there another fix?

You are better off to work on the sight or lug. All you need a little pene mark on the edge of the dovetail. I just use a little punch shaft and a hammer. A small tap on the underside will tighten it right up. Messing with the barrel will make it ugly. A dab of red locktite will secure a lug nicely too.

sight.png

You can peen the dovetail in the barrel with 3/4” to 1” socket. Lay the socket across the dovetail and then lightly tap the socket with a hammer to tighten up the dovetail. Once firmly held you may want to stake it with a center punch.

Thanks!

Back