• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken and Hornady PA conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desperate Lee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone with any experience with this bullet and a 1-48 twist TC Hawken please chime in here as far as accuracy and loads. Looking for a possible deer load. I have 150 of these bullets sitting on the shelf. Thanks in advance.
DL

I have used the PA conical in a T/C High Plains Sporter, which is a pistol gripped New Englander, with great results. 90 grains of 2f gave me 2" groups a 100 yards off the bench. Took several deer with them with one shot kill results.

Grimord
Thats the type of results i am looking for. What twist rate and length of barrel does the TC HPS carry? My TC Hawken carries a 1-48 twist and barrel length of 28 inches.
Anyone else got reports to share?
DL

Grimord
Thats the type of results i am looking for. What twist rate and length of barrel does the TC HPS carry? My TC Hawken carries a 1-48 twist and barrel length of 28 inches.
DL
My HPS is 1 in 48 Gary, and 26” tube. Was, I should say, Bobby Hoyt soon to bore it to .58 and 1 in 60”. The High Plains Sporter is my favorite TC, fits like a glove. I have a half box of Ball-ets which are essentially the same as your PA bullet and every TC I’ve owned has handled them well. My grandson will use them in his White Mountain Carbine but I should probably buy some of the PA bullets.

Woodnbow
Thats cool brother. What type loads we talking here? What powder you using? Rule of thumb use to be caliber times 1 1/2 for starting loads, thats a 75 grn charge to start. Idaholewis suggested 50 grns then go up. The .490 prb i was shooting at 90 grains Pyrodex RS and fairly good accuracy. I just didnt like the dirty powder scum left behind. This time round going pure black. Either Goex or Swiss. Give me some thought there Marine.
DL

Woodnbow
Thats cool brother. What type loads we talking here? What powder you using? Rule of thumb use to be caliber times 1 1/2 for starting loads, thats a 75 grn charge to start. Idaholewis suggested 50 grns then go up. The .490 prb i was shooting at 90 grains Pyrodex RS and fairly good accuracy. I just didnt like the dirty powder scum left behind. This time round going pure black. Either Goex or Swiss. Give me some thought there Marine.
DL
DL,
I use 70 grains of Swiss 3g with this bullet in my Lyman Trade rifle and accuracy is fine for my old eyes, about 2” at 75 yards.
Irish

Grimord
DL
Woodenbow nailed the specs on the High Plains Sporter. I shot 90 grains of 2f goex to get the groups at 100 off the bench. The HPS came with a T/C tang peep sight which I found excellent for shooting groups. I removed the aperture when hunting to effectually make it a ghost ring sight. Very fast target acquisition.

Haha, load data is always helpful... I have used 70-90 grains Swiss and Goex ffg and fffg with the Ball-ets, I started fooling with them for my daughter’s deer hunting load and I believe we settled for 75 grains, she’s a slip of a girl and doesn’t tolerate recoil very well. That’s a soft shooting and accurate load and Swiss gives good power. This is relying heavily on my memory Gary, I still have the load books on a couple TC’s and her New Englander, I will look into it after the grandkids Christmas program tonight.

I heartily recommend Swiss powder, It doesn’t seem as dirty as others, doesn’t cake up like T7 or Pyrodex,I think I have a couple cans of goex out there, a few pounds of T7, maybe one or two of the Schuetzen powder but Swiss is all I seem to use anymore. Next order I place will include some fg for shotguns and what not...

Woodnbow
You using the Buffalo Bullet Ball-ets? Those are hard to find now a days. If these work good in the TC Hawken i may try them in my Traditions unmentionable with the 1-32 barrel twist. Could make a swage die to produce our own from say .54 or .58 round balls.
Desperate Lee

I've used them in a 1/66" rifle with good accuracy and 75-yard sight-in. Two medium sized deer, each with one shot and both exited. Deer went down quick. In a 1/48" rifle it is sighted in at 100-yards. Dropped one smaller deer DRT at 100-yds with PA Conical. They work pretty good and are cost efficient compared to just about any other conical. More weight and a little better ballistics than PRB.

Sparkitoff
Thanks for your reply. Swiss 3f will be my choice and i do believe i shall start at 55 to 60 grns and work up from there. Just need some range time and wind to drop down, about 40 to 45 mph and wind chill in the low 30's. These old bones cant take much of that.
DL

Woodnbow
You using the Buffalo Bullet Ball-ets? Those are hard to find now a days. If these work good in the TC Hawken i may try them in my Traditions unmentionable with the 1-32 barrel twist. Could make a swage die to produce our own from say .54 or .58 round balls.
Desperate Lee
You’re getting pretty carried away with this swaging business! Haha! Yes, the Ball-ET’s are what I’ve used. I think they’re basically the same length and weight as the PA conical. They wer a great Bullet for the compromise twist guns, easy loading, accurate and just a bit more weight than round ball.

Woodnbow
It is fun and informative brother. There are tons of pure lead bullets out there for handguns. If it can be altered for my use then so be it. The ball-ets are not being made anymore so why cant we produce our own.
Now another question for those in the know, do i use the lube that is on the PA's or do i strip it and put on a better lube? What would be best?
DL

You got it! I can’t wait till I retire, so I can work on important stuff like this full time...

BTW, what are you using for a swaging press?

I have a Lee Classic Cast press with a 1 1/4 diameter ram. Just need a heavier bench for it. Got the instructions to change the ram leverage. It will shorten stroke but will increase ft-lbs in ram torque. Several guys on the castboolits forum do this all the time. Woodnbow gonna pm you a link to some good reading material. They do this with brass casings but pure lead works too.
DL

Back