• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken 50 cal 1-48

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO you cant take what someone tells you to be true for you gun. Some im sure have had issues with conicals slipping off the charge, their bore might be looser than your guns bore. The best deal to do is find a conical you find interesting, research it, ask questions and then give it a try in your gun and see how it fits.

Buffalo bullets are one bullet i would not trust in ANY gun, extremely under sized.

ebiggs said:
I've spent time in elk camps as both a worker and a paying hunter. I've shot elk and seen elk killed. when elk are not shot correctly, they like to go places that will make you wish you never started this thing.

and don't let the key board shooters tell you otherwise.

Until the “key board shooters” experience this, they will never know. And I suppose they will continue to advise hunters to go out under gunned until they wear out their key boards!

Rat trapper was spot on with his comment. Your comment was also right on the money.
Ron

rodwha said:
Are PP bullets and REAL's the only thing that stay in place other than the unmentionables?

I believe the Deerstalker I am getting has the shallow grooves....

Hornady Great plains bullets will stay on powder in my Green Mountain barrels.
Paper patched bullets are a safe bet for staying on powder. Ron

Jamie from Alberta said:
320gr REAL should do you just fine!

Just recovered a .50x320 REAL fired with 70 grains of Jacks and it didn't look like it had expanded in the barrel.
First attempt at catching it didn't have enough length of shredded paper.

firstattempt.jpg

Second time it stopped in the box full of shreds.

REALCaught.jpg

But it didn't look like it had expanded into the rifling at all. Only used 70 grains as the flintglock isn't very beefy.
How much powder do yall usually use to get accuracy with the REAL's?

I have 70 gr of Pyrodex select RS pushing the 320 gr real at 1395 fps. 80 gr of RS @ 1440. 90 gr of RS @ 1564. And 100 gr at 1627.
My best groups were with an over powder wad and 100 gr of select RS. Ron

This is my 54 REAL cast from WW in front of 70grs Goex ffg.
This was recovered at the 100yd in the sand after going thru a wood pallet leaning against a John Deere tractor tire.
54REAL_zpsd6f01703.jpg

I'd imagine more expansion could be achieved with pure lead.

Ron, that kind of confirms my suspicions, being that pushing them hard might give the best results. The paper patched fifties I use from an altered .445 minie mold need to be slapped hard on the hind end to work. But, the flintglock has a 7/8" barrel and I'm just not up for pushing my luck with that particular piece.

Oh well. Its light weight made it just right for introducing four boys to flinters.

Kentuckywindage said:
70 RS @ 50 yards into damp sand. They expand just fine.
DSCN3196.jpg

See how rounded the back ring is? I got even less expansion into the rifling than you did.
What caliber are you shooting?

Yes, pure lead. 50cal

Expansion inside barrel is great, but i do use the 510A wad from TOW and lube them with beeswax/olive oil, just melt the lube and while its still liquid, throw in a handful of the wads and let them soak up the lube. The wad i find is extremely important for accuracy with the REAL.

Ron, I'm not sure what your picture is showing in regards to TC bullets other then it hasn't been cast correctly. I've never seen any brand of cast bullet that hasn't occasionly had one in the box.

There are some good responses here, I guess if it was me I would buy several of the recommended brands and test them in my rifle. I would also avoid any with a hollow point when going for elk.

Good luck with your hunt.

and don't let the key board shooters tell you otherwise.

Until the “key board shooters” experience this, they will never know. And I suppose they will continue to advise hunters to go out under gunned until they wear out their key boards![/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have heard a lot about conicals coming off the powder and sliding down the bore. However I have never had that problem with either my 50 or 54 TC Hawken. Those Hornady great plains bullets load real hard in my 50, but they shoot great. The bores in those two rifles seem to be tighter than those which the guys complained about bullets moving on them. Or they are just repeating stuff they have heard. Still good idea to check for it and keep the muzzle up.

Rat Trapper said:
I have heard a lot about conicals coming off the powder and sliding down the bore. However I have never had that problem with either my 50 or 54 TC Hawken. Those Hornady great plains bullets load real hard in my 50, but they shoot great. The bores in those two rifles seem to be tighter than those which the guys complained about bullets moving on them. Or they are just repeating stuff they have heard. Still good idea to check for it and keep the muzzle up.

I agree 100% :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Ron

My, probably feeble, attempt is to convince people we are supposed to hunters and not just killers. There should be a certain amount of consideration for the game. Using small under powered guns is inhumane, in my opinion.
They have never tracked an elk, or any animal for that matter, because things were not just like the story books said they would be. In the real world things are not always that dream shot. As a matter of fact they almost never are and a marginal gun is not what you want.
What is this insatiable push to use the smallest gun or bullet or load as possible? :idunno:

ebiggs said:
My, probably feeble, attempt is to convince people we are supposed to hunters and not just killers. There should be a certain amount of consideration for the game. Using small under powered guns is inhumane, in my opinion.
They have never tracked an elk, or any animal for that matter, because things were not just like the story books said they would be. In the real world things are not always that dream shot. As a matter of fact they almost never are and a marginal gun is not what you want.
What is this insatiable push to use the smallest gun or bullet or load as possible? :idunno:

I agree 100% x 10. But instead of under powered guns, I might say under powered loads. A 45 cal PRB is not what I would call an elk load. A 409 gr 45 cal at over 1400 fps IS an elk load.
Like you say until they have to follow a wounded elk for miles they just don't have a clue.

I think I'd give the guys at prbullets.com a call and see what they recommend. They make some pretty nice conicals, some designed for elk, that have all shot well out of my 1/48 TC Renegade. They have a 450 grain Kieth Nose that looks like it might work.

It's too bad they don't make the 410 grain Hornady GP bullets anymore. They shot pretty darn good out of the Renegade. Never had one slip in the barrel either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idaho Ron said:
ebiggs said:

I agree 100% x 10. But instead of under powered guns, I might say under powered loads. A 45 cal PRB is not what I would call an elk load. A 409 gr 45 cal at over 1400 fps IS an elk load.
Like you say until they have to follow a wounded elk for miles they just don't have a clue.

X Another 10!!! :hatsoff:

Looking for Idaho Ron, can i PM you some questions about the subject of this old thread? Thank you!

Latest posts

Back