• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken .45 cal. load questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New member here. Can I get some suggestions for round ball size, patch thickness and load for this rifle? Up until now I've only shot a .54 caliber and I don't know where to start with this this Thompson Center .45. I got it from a friend, he didn't know anything about it, but it looks to be in decent shape other than needing a new nipple. I'm looking for a mild target load for 50 yd off hand shooting for starters and eventually a deer hunting load.

I don't own any 45s (yet) but I do have a couple PDF files in my phone of TC owners manuals with load info I can share.

In the load data, you'll notice the last column they indicate FPS. They typoed, supposed to read energy in Ft/lbs.

At any rate, I would suspect that load data to be suitable for your 45 cal Hawken as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220903-084936.png
    Screenshot_20220903-084936.png
    619.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220903-085003.png
    Screenshot_20220903-085003.png
    335.1 KB · Views: 0
Best load is rifle dependent. It will vary with ball size, patch thickness, lube used, moon phase, etc. With prb try 45 gr. for a starter, in most barrels that will give a good group. For hunting with my 45s a 65 gr. charge of real bp has proven to be an effective deer stopper.

In the load data, you'll notice the last column they indicate FPS. They typoed, supposed to read energy in Ft/lbs.

No thats not a typo. Thats the FPS left at 100 yards with the first column being the FPS at the muzzle. Round balls lose speed really fast. Its why I consider even the larger bore RB rifles to be about 80-90 yard rifles. I know longer kill shots have been made with round ball but thats my personal limit based on a lot of shooting at 100 yards and a little more.

I would suggest, .440 balls, some different thickness patches, .010, .015.
3f powder. 50-60 grains to start with with.
My own 45 shoots pretty good with 70-75 grains by volume of 3f Swiss black powder.
My gun likes the 445 ball and a 010 patch.

I shoot a TC 45 with TC barrel for most competitive situations.

My load is 45 grains of Scheutzen 3f, Joanne #40 drill (about .018), sparingly lubed, 445 ball from a Lee mold. If I have a bad day with this set up it's all on me.

No thats not a typo. Thats the FPS left at 100 yards with the first column being the FPS at the muzzle. Round balls lose speed really fast. Its why I consider even the larger bore RB rifles to be about 80-90 yard rifles. I know longer kill shots have been made with round ball but thats my personal limit based on a lot of shooting at 100 yards and a little more.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have an older manual that lists ft/lbs of energy in that second column. Interesting, thank you for sharing and the correction.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have an older manual that lists ft/lbs of energy in that second column. Interesting, thank you for sharing and the correction.

You are welcome. I can se how it would be confusing. If you don't have one I would suggest you get a copy of the Lyman Black Powder Manual. Its a very informative book with ball and bullet velocity speeds listed along with the energy for each at the muzzle and 100 yard mark. I have shot some of the published loads with the barrel lengths they listed and the published velocities are very close to what you can expect to get.

That manual was one of my better buys in the book department.

Thats one of the things I like about a .45 caliber gun. If you use 70grs of 3F thats about all the top end you need for a hunting load. Anything from 45-50grs makes a good target and general use load. That round is easy on lead and powder. And has enough power for humane deer hunting and if you stick to head shots it can be used for small game. I would to have a .40 caliber rifle for all the same reasons.

I guess thats why guns in .38 thru .45 were so popular on the eastern frontier 250 years ago because they could multi task so well.

Last edited:
Back