• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC hardware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recall seeing somewhere a while back a steel hardware kit for a TC Hawken but haven't been able to find it lately. I have a flinter with a GM barrel I would like to brown and install steel hardware. Anyone recall who makes/ sells it? I am not crazy about the brass that TC uses and have never liked the trigger guard shape. I have been to the sites of the usual sources (Track, Dixie, Log Cabin) with no luck other than trying individual pieces for fit, one of these, one of those, etc.

I've got a set that includes the patchbox. Only problem is that the patchbox is only about 1/4 the thickness of the brass one. L3eaves alot of buttstock to be removed (maybe some buttplate side too).

Is it possile to build up the inletted depth with some type of filler to the correct height? Sounds simpler, don't know if in fact it is.... :idunno:

longrifle346 said:
Is it possile to build up the inletted depth with some type of filler to the correct height? Sounds simpler, don't know if in fact it is.... :idunno:

Sounds right to me, but I'm guessing. Especially for heavier recoil, I sure wouldn't want the butt any narrower in any case. With heavy loads from either my 58 or 62 cal GM barrels, recoil can become "enthusiastic." :grin:

I have considered that a filler could be put in the inlet. I would want some close matching wood. Would not be difficult. Just describing the hardware that I have. I do not know if all of the offerings are like mine. Trying to keep another shooter from being suprised :v

i don't believe the patchbox is included or even available anymore. for what it's worth and luck friend, bubba.

I was looking on the Hawken Shop site and the patchbox is not included in the kit, nor is one that will match the TC inletting available that I found. I think it would look funny with a browned steel butt plate and a brass patchbox, but I think I can find a slightly larger one that would look ok and inlet it in.
On second thought, looking at it now, a larger patch box on that stock would not look right.

From The Hawken Shop. I have seen a Rifle on here with it installed. Looked good to me.

632ec881.jpg

The original Hawken Shop steel T/C hardware did not come with a patchbox according to thier #2 catalog. The steel patchbox I have fits the T/C patchbox very well! I will post a picture if I can get a little time this evening to click and load. I don't know where the steel patchbox originated.

OK I hope these show up well enough. The nose cap is a 15/16" and I am realizing that the patchbox is a "custom" built. I still see some layout lines (faint scratches) and soldered on lugs for the lid to attach to, but fits well.
100_2699.jpg

100_2698.jpg

Sorry about the other rifle showing up in the picture. Workbench is crowded and my photography skills ..... well thats another story altogether :idunno:

Robert, I DO like that patchbox!
Thanks all for all the info, looks like I am good to go. :hatsoff:

Here's an update on those aftermarket parts. They take some work to get a good fit as they are just about a drop in replacement, but not quite :idunno:
100_2731.jpg

Back