• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Big Boar 58 cal pyrodex charge with minie bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basque1

32 Cal
Reaction score
What is the best or most optimum Pyrodex charge for a TC Big Boar 58 cal.? I will be using the cast minie bullets and sometimes round balls. I have not been able to locate an owners manual for this firearm.
Tks

Anywhere from 60 to 120 grains of 2 or 3f... I guess that’s P or RS in Pyrodex speak. With any projectile, I would start with 60 grains and work up until I was satisfied with the accuracy. With minies I doubt you’re going to have hunting accuracy at more than 70 grains or so.

With minie balls, its all about the skirt. Charges in excess of 60 grains (volume measure) will start to blow out the skirt and with excessive powder charges, accuracy is going away. So a charge of 45 to 60 grains (volume Measure) will give you the best accuracy. You might be able to use more powder in a solid based bullet such as a Lee REAL bullet.

Best loads for accuracy will always be about the fit of the minie to the bore. All these posts that extoll the virtue of fitting the minie so the diameter of the Minnie is 0.002" less than the land diameter is extremely important. Perhaps more important than a few grains of powder.

Last edited:
Tks that helps me a lot, that is the charge of Pyrodex I was considering 70 grains
With minie balls, its all about the skirt. Charges in excess of 60 grains (volume measure) will start to blow out the skirt and with excessive powder charges, accuracy is going away. So a charge of 45 to 60 grains (volume Measure) will give you the best accuracy. You might be able to use more powder in a solid based bullet such as a Lee REAL bullet.

Best loads for accuracy will always be about the fit of the minie to the bore. All these posts that extoll the virtue of fitting the minie so the diameter of the Minnie is 0.002" less than the land diameter is extremely important. Perhaps more important than a few grains of powder.
Tks I appreciate the input

I only shoot patched round ball in my Big Bore barrel, and my hunting load is 100 grains of 2f or Pyrodex RS or Select. I get better accuracy with 85 grains, but I want more oomph, and with the 100 grain charge I still get 3" groups at 75 yards which is about as far as I dare shoot with open sights and my ageing eyes.

From reading 60-70 gns typical for minis. All depends on the pressure it takes to properly expand the skirt witout causing too much pressure that would cause skirt blow out at muzzle.
Generally for military recommended load in 58cal is 60gns. Pretty much can agree they knew the most effective and efficient for considered shooting ranges for ball, mini and maxi.
I've been working up a load for a Zouave and 60gns is looking real good. I bumped it up to right at 68gns and pattern started spreading. Thats with ball and mini.
Amount of twist will play a part of what load shoots best too.

The T/C Manual says 80 to 120 grains FFg. behind a 555 to 560 grain conical for their .58 caliber.

T/C didn't/doesn't reccommend FFFg in rifles over .36 caliber.

Last edited:
Depends on which minie you plan to use. There are the standard thin skirted minies and the thicker skirted minies like those produced by the Shiloh Stakebuster 577 D and Lyman 57730 molds. See the pic below of my two thick skirt mines, Lyman on the right.
Ron
upload_2019-12-8_10-11-39.jpeg

I have a H&R huntsman in .58 I've had for 30 yrs. I use mini ball conical with .70 grains of black . Great results . I've taken 15 deer with it , one a big whitetail was 148 1/8 bc. Bullet entered behind right shoulder and stopped under skin of left rear hind quarter. You'll be surprised at the accuracy at longer distance. I even shot it for fun at 400 yrds at a 3"x3" steel target, and hit it. I sure wouldn't want to try game at that distance. A friend of mine uses the TC .58 but not the bullet like me , he says it creeps down the barrel while carrying the gun. Shoots great , but keep a eye on might need bigger. Good luck

Tks that helps me a lot, that is the charge of Pyrodex I was considering 70 grains

Tks I appreciate the input
Just for grins, and since you’re already at the range, try a couple of groups with 5 grains less and 5 grains more, if they are better than the 70 grains load maybe try 10 grains in the same direction up or down. Muzzleloaders are so easy to tailor for accuracy compared to modern arms...

Just for grins, and since you’re already at the range, try a couple of groups with 5 grains less and 5 grains more, if they are better than the 70 grains load maybe try 10 grains in the same direction up or down. Muzzleloaders are so easy to tailor for accuracy compared to modern arms...
Will do tks

Back