• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC 58 Big Boar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well its been quite some time but I finally got my hands on one these and I must say I am pleasantly happy. I actually missed this very one 3 yrs back when it popped up on the classifieds. I was contemplating on it 2 seconds too long and someone else nabbed it. Well that very same person offered it to me and I could'nt be happier.
He included some possibles with it as well. I'll try to get out and make some smoke with her as soon as weather permits (rain).

Recoil pad

Looks like a smidge of surface rust at one time. Crown and rifling are still sharp ;)

.58, .54, .50
:haha: :haha:

Nice gun!
Now for some concern :stir:
TC's have a bad track record of cracking in the tang area.
If is not cracked already, good for you.
With a nice gun like that, I would drill out the wood, where the tang bolt passes, and then epoxy a steel sleeve to support the tang bolt and strengthen the wood.
My concerns are that TC will no longer honour their forever warranty.
I would also glass bed the area where the tang meets the wood.
Some will say it does not increase the strength of the area.
Even the .36 cal. rifles cracked??
My experience is, "IF" glass bedded no cracks.
Your choice!
All the best with your great find.
Fred

I don't know much about preemptive strengthening of those stress areas on T/Cs; but that sure looks like a very nice "heavy" rifle to me. Congratulations.

"Tang bolt" I assume you mean the lock screw which is famous on the TC rifles, cracking on the non-lock panel side usually from over torqing the lock bolt. Mine has been cracked for 25-20 years now and has never been repaired and its a 54 with loads up to 120 grains and maxiballs. I took it to a gun builder and he said its only going to be cosmetic and in no way hinder the performance of the gun and since the crack ends at the hole it can not spread any further. Of course it can always be fixed but it isn't a showstopper. It is nothing more than a small hairline crack.

I've had a couple of them for a number of years, one arrived NIB and the other had been shot a fair bit. Both in fine shape, and I've sure added to their shooting history. :grin:

Point is, no signs of cracks, but I don't overtighten the lock bolt. And both have about 1/16" clearance behind the back of the tang. Those with the tang butting up against the rear of the inlet are the ones that tend to split in my experience. If yours is clear there and the lock bolt isn't too tight, I think you'll find the potential for splitting is a paper tiger.

Meanwhile, enjoy! It's certainly a fine rifle with or without the 58 cal hole in the barrel. That just makes it all that much better! :thumbsup:

Nice rifle.

Those big 58 conicals will wake you up when you shoot them with a stout load

I have the same rifle. I shoot 90 and 100 Gr. of 2F BP with an OP wad. A 562 RB with a .018 lubed patch. See no real difference in my groups at 50 yds with both powder charges.
No cracks in stock.
You have a nice rifle....you will enjoy it.
Vearl

Buy mine. I have two TC 58's that rotator cuff damage will not allow me to shoot them anymore. :td:

Well, you can either do as I did and have the rotator cuff repaired and keep on shooting or list your rifles on the forum. I might decide that I need one of them.

My shoulder and rotator cuff were all torn up and required extensive repair. I was out of commission for nearly a year before I could shoot anything much bigger than my .36 but then I was back to shooting whatever I wanted. Go get it fixed and get back to shooting.

BTW, what are you asking for one of those Big Boars?

Observe the behavior of the crack while pushing the barrel down into the fore stock. You may observe the opening up of the crack in response to the force exerted by the camming action adjacent to the tang. Might want to plan your repair accordingly.

That but pad and design will help some but with a 120 grain load you will know when she goes off! Geo. T.

I will definitely be wearing my P.A.S.T. Shoulder pad :wink:
I just ordered a TC peep off another forum too to throw on.

You are going to love that .58 I have the same gun in 54. I have never had any concerns with the stock cracking, my rifle has traveled the world from South Ga. to central Alaska. You would think with all the climate changes and 120g plus loads if she was going to crack ,she would have.
Congrat's on a fine weapon.

How much do U want fer em? got any pic? Live in Canada. I have my gun license and police background check. We no longer have a gun registry up here so it should be easy for me to get it across the boarder. Just show my FAC pay duty and I am on my way.

120gr round ball I hope :wink:
Mind you, I do plan on trying the TC Maxi's that came with it with 100+ gr volume load of Goex and Pyrodex. Just to see of course :grin:

White Oak said:
Congrats on your find! Great looking rifle. I know you have been looking for some time.
Have fun! :thumbsup:
Ed

Thanks Ed, I still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but soon.

Back