• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC 56 smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, so what size roundball and powder charge in a TC 56 smoothie? 75 gr 3f and a .535 rondball with REALLY thick patch?

I have used .535 and a thick patch, but Tc, and Lyman both made a .550 roundball mold specifically for the .56 Renegade. They show up from time to time, but are usually pricy.

image.jpg

I have only ran plinking loads through my .56 Renegade so up to 70 grains of 2f. I have used .535 balls and they shoot fine out to 25 yards. Also have some .550 balls bought from TOW. Recently bought a Russian two cavity mold off fleabay that is billed as a 20 gauge ball, intended to load in a plastic wad cup. Anyway, it was supposed to throw a .550 ball but they are coming out at .548-.549 cast from my scrap lead. Close enough.

Kanas Kid,
That’s an interesting picture, do you have a pic of the front? I’d like to try and find one. Or at least the title?

Our esteemed colleague, Senor Britsmoothy, has achieved astounding success with a 50 caliber smooth rifle on small game and birds with shot loads and fg. We of course can't wait to see the effects of the quantum leap of increasing the bore size to 56 caliber, nothing around Brit would be safe! With a patched round ball and up to 100 grains of 2fg, up to 75 yards of deer accuracy should be easy. Perhaps a finer powder will help with accuracy? I shoot 3fg in almost everything, but Brit swears by 4f, which I have been told will make scrap out of any rifle, causing dismay to the shooter, making children scream and dogs bark. Please contact Britsmoothy here on the Forum for further instructions with the use of 4fg. We wish you the best.

Our esteemed colleague, Senor Britsmoothy, has achieved astounding success with a 50 caliber smooth rifle on small game and birds with shot loads and fg. We of course can't wait to see the effects of the quantum leap of increasing the bore size to 56 caliber, nothing around Brit would be safe! With a patched round ball and up to 100 grains of 2fg, up to 75 yards of deer accuracy should be easy. Perhaps a finer powder will help with accuracy? I shoot 3fg in almost everything, but Brit swears by 4f, which I have been told will make scrap out of any rifle, causing dismay to the shooter, making children scream and dogs bark. Please contact Britsmoothy here on the Forum for further instructions with the use of 4fg. We wish you the best.
It's a .45"
20210907_184512.jpg

Three .58 smoothbores have passed through my hands.
SAM_1017_zps7d62f725.jpg

The 56 will lack nothing.

I find it interesting that the T/C booklet shows 80 grains of 2f and a “60 grain” equivalent volume of shot for their load. Seems most of the wisdom here on the board recommends a “square” load or even slightly more shot than powder.

I find it interesting that the T/C booklet shows 80 grains of 2f and a “60 grain” equivalent volume of shot for their load. Seems most of the wisdom here on the board recommends a “square” load or even slightly more shot than powder.
Yes, the square load or less powder, more shot will more often result in a better pattern. In a 56 smoothbore, 80 grains of 2f is about a maximum load and 65 grains might be more effective with a 70 grain volume of shot.

A .535 ball double-patched with Wally-World pre-lubed patches over a 70gr measure of Pyrodex RS was deer accurate to 60 or 70 yds maybe a bit more.

Back