• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 56 cal smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb30

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of these. Interesting that it has a rear sight and front sight.

I have one and was fortunate enough to find a used Lyman .550" RB mould for it as well. As FDF wrote, it is accurate out to 50 yd., but at 100, who knows? I use a thin (.012") patch with mine, but have recently found that hand rolled tow wads over the powder and over the RB are as accurate as a patched RB at 25 yd.

I tried .550 balls, needed a sledge hammer to drive them in, .535 worked fine.

I have one that has only been used with shot with great results. Not too lively to use for wingshooting, but a squirrel getter for sure.

I use mine for shot and ball. As Winchester 97 says, they are good for squirrels, but slow for wing shooting. With a .550 ball, .015 mink oil lubed patch and 80 grains of 2f, I get 1.5" groups at 50 yards. things really open up beyond that. The best I have been able to obtain is 4" at 75 yards. I would not even try to shoot beyond that.

I have not shot mine a lot but have with both .550 & 535 balls. The .550 were great with suitable patch (can’t remember thickness). The .535 were much more fun though, plenty accurate at 25 meters to bang an 8” gong for a new shooter guest and very easy to quickly load. Have not shot any shot out of it yet.

Back