• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC 45 cal Hawken value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get closer to the value listed here than trading it in on a modern rifle. Gun shops have to make money and they are going to give the lowest that they can.

I live in central Wisconsin and I'm sorry to say that traditional cap lock rifles hold little interest at our area gun shows and their values are similarly depressed. Sadly, showing up at an area rifle range with anything other than a whizbang synthetic stocked scoped inline muzzleloader will draw curiosity from fellow shooters but little else. Our gun shows are filled with AR rifles and "tactical" accessories ad nauseum and it makes me very sad that the generation who appreciated the traditional and/or historical aspect (other than milsurps) are dying off.

You will get closer to the value listed here than trading it in on a modern rifle. Gun shops have to make money and they are going to give the lowest that they can.
I live in central Wisconsin and I'm sorry to say that traditional cap lock rifles hold little interest at our area gun shows and their values are similarly depressed. Sadly, showing up at an area rifle range with anything other than a whizbang synthetic stocked scoped inline muzzleloader will draw curiosity from fellow shooters but little else. Our gun shows are filled with AR rifles and "tactical" accessories ad nauseum and it makes me very sad that the generation who appreciated the traditional and/or historical aspect (other than milsurps) are dying off.
Thanks

i love these shows, seems if sellers came upon a caplock or flintlock [ new or original] they dont put much value on them. i have gotten some really great deals in these types of shows. but yes it is sad.

Buy your military surplus gun if you wish, but keep that Hawken! Much easier to scrounge muzzleloading stuff than anything for any cartridge rifle... at least in times of trouble.

I got a T/C Hawken in .45 with a ringed barrel. Has a Williams FP-Hawken rear sight. Stock was broken and repaired. Still shoots conicals/unmentionables OK. While I am thinking about getting a drop-in fast twist barrel and having the original made into a smoothbore, I would not sell it unless somebody offered me a ridiculous price for it.

Buy your military surplus gun if you wish, but keep that Hawken! Much easier to scrounge muzzleloading stuff than anything for any cartridge rifle... at least in times of trouble.

I got a T/C Hawken in .45 with a ringed barrel. Has a Williams FP-Hawken rear sight. Stock was broken and repaired. Still shoots conicals/unmentionables OK. While I am thinking about getting a drop-in fast twist barrel and having the original made into a smoothbore, I would not sell it unless somebody offered me a ridiculous price for it.
"Buy your military surplus gun if you wish, but keep that Hawken! Much easier to scrounge muzzleloading stuff than anything for any cartridge rifle... at least in times of trouble."

Where are the caps and where is the powder, think there are many pages (23 to be exactt) after pages of folks crying there are not caps, same crying over no powder.

"Buy your military surplus gun if you wish, but keep that Hawken! Much easier to scrounge muzzleloading stuff than anything for any cartridge rifle... at least in times of trouble."

Where are the caps and where is the powder, think there are many pages (23 to be exactt) after pages of folks crying there are not caps, same crying over no powder.
You can make powder from base materials... I read a post from a guy who actually got his sulfur from an active volcano near his home. Saltpeter can be got from cave dirt. Charcoal you can make at home from willow wood. Caps can be made from aluminum cans and toy roll caps. There are also plastic toy caps that work OK.

If you really get desperate, you can convert your caplock to a flintlock, then you can learn to nap flint/chert that you can find in many places locally. If that doesn't appeal, you can convert it to a matchlock.

There are lots of ways to make a muzzleloader go bang in a pinch. Cartridge guns are not quite so simple to improvise munitions for.... though it can and has been done. Yes, they are better if you are going to be contesting the ownership of the last can of beans in an abandoned grocery store, but I did my war time and have no desire to ever get into another gun fight if it can be avoided. Wild game should only require one shot to feed my family for a week with enough left over to feed the squad of starving Chinese soldiers at the door looking for food/shelter. Better to be nice to the nice men with the AK47s than to make them angry and have to start exchanging gunfire.

It's primarily a hunting gun until all the cartridges are gone.... and then it becomes a self-defense weapon.

Then again, I might be crazy/paranoid.

I searched long for a TC Hawken .45 cal up here in the Great White North until one reared its head just a month ago.
I paid $500 CAD. So USD prices are on par.
Finding one in .45 is a rarity so I snatched her up immediately, post Xmas credit debt can wait a little longer lol.
This puts me now with having TC Hawken in; .45, 50 and 54.
Other than several patches of surface rust here and there she’s a beaut.
I hope you get a good price on yours. They’re worth it. But then again you could hold on to her and find something else you won’t miss or regret selling.
All the best. It’s -41F out so no movement outside for now.

You can make powder from base materials... I read a post from a guy who actually got his sulfur from an active volcano near his home. Saltpeter can be got from cave dirt. Charcoal you can make at home from willow wood. Caps can be made from aluminum cans and toy roll caps. There are also plastic toy caps that work OK.

If you really get desperate, you can convert your caplock to a flintlock, then you can learn to nap flint/chert that you can find in many places locally. If that doesn't appeal, you can convert it to a matchlock.

There are lots of ways to make a muzzleloader go bang in a pinch. Cartridge guns are not quite so simple to improvise munitions for.... though it can and has been done. Yes, they are better if you are going to be contesting the ownership of the last can of beans in an abandoned grocery store, but I did my war time and have no desire to ever get into another gun fight if it can be avoided. Wild game should only require one shot to feed my family for a week with enough left over to feed the squad of starving Chinese soldiers at the door looking for food/shelter. Better to be nice to the nice men with the AK47s than to make them angry and have to start exchanging gunfire.

It's primarily a hunting gun until all the cartridges are gone.... and then it becomes a self-defense weapon.

Then again, I might be crazy/paranoid.
Thanks again. I really was just hoping to get an idea of what the old fellow might be worth. Now I seem to have stumbled into a war with the Chinese.

I’m thinking of taking my 70’s/80’s vintage Thompson Center 45 cal Hawken to a local gun show tomorrow.
I’d prefer to trade for a military surplus rifle but really have no idea what the TC might be worth.
Any help would be appreciated.
It’s in excellent shape.
Thanks in advance
Nice gun. I also have a number of US and foreign MILSURP guns, and to be honest, I can’t see trading a complete functioning and shootable MILSURP for a TC Hawken straight up. Starting prices on most MILSURPS are typical above the top price of a TC.

Let us know when if you find a trading partner.

Well, could happen, but that gun is probably worth more than you think.
Unfortunately I agree. Any opinion on value?
Nice gun. I also have a number of US and foreign MILSURP guns, and to be honest, I can’t see trading a complete functioning and shootable MILSURP for a TC Hawken straight up. Starting prices on most MILSURPS are typical above the top price of a TC.

Let us know when if you find a trading partner.
đź‘Ś

Back in my memories :rolleyes: I bought several different kinds of milsurps for under $20, sporterized and sold for, usually, $50. I am old enough to get in on that, many from NRA. Dale Oh, yeah. I have a TC Hawken .45 that my wife bought me when we first got married eleven years ago. It has the prettiest walnut stock I have ever seen.

Unfortunately I agree. Any opinion on value?

đź‘Ś
I would put that gun on an auction site with a starting bid of $400.00. Take lots of pictures. Be patient. This, though is not the time of the year to sell it. Wait until fall unless you really need the money. T/C Hawkens have a good reputation and they are no longer being made, so it's sort of a seller's market. Don't waste your time at a gun show.

If you want a true estimate of value, take a look at auction sites and see what similar guns are selling for. That's how I priced things when I worked in the gun shop.

Latest posts

Back